About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Friday, September 30, 2005

What's the Name of Your God?

Wow, that question always gets me. I have a friend, actually he was my pastor when I was a kid, who once preached a sermon "What's the name of your God?". In that sermon he basically told his story of how he and his wife had adopted (not fostered - adopted!) several special needs children and how God had provided for their needs in some pretty amazing and miraclous ways. Since then, that question has haunted me and challenged me in those times which are all too common, when I begin to fret and worry about how things will work out.

A few weeks ago I was a part of a trip to Meridan MS, and then to Grand Isle LA, and then on to Sulphur/Lake Charles LA to take food to the victims of Hurricane Katrina. You can read about that adventure, and an adventure it was, at my other blog That trip was amazing ... not becuase we had anything to do with it, but because it was put together in a matter of 3 days and becuase it worked out so perfectly that it was absolutely obvoius to eveyone that only God could have pulled that off. It was fun to watch the impossible take place and to be a part of it.

BUT that trip challenged me about how I think about God. I'm typically the kind of person who is very comfortable with the mundane. The kind of person who often sees God working in the daily stuff of life and doesn't anitcipate too much the "great things" God does. I've come to believe that God does His best in the quiet, boring, daily routine of your life and mine. I still believe that it is often in those mundane things that God grooms us and grows us. I still belive that it is just as spiritual to be faithful in the less exctiting tasks as it is to do "great things for God". Maybe even more spiritual. And I still believe that EGO can play a big part in doing "great things for God". I can write for a while about EGO and how I've seen people attitbute to God what is really their own ego. BUT ...


Maybe I've been overlooking something .... the fact that God indeed does do some pretty great things. Maybe I've limited Him by thinking too small? I certainly would have never attempted to put together a relief effort in 3 days! In fact, had God asked me to do that I'd have been pretty ticked off with Him. It takes me several months to put together a trip to in Indian Reservation every year ... and that doesn't count the additional months spent raising money for it.

Another thing that has challenged me ... my son. My 20 year-old son is very involved with Campus Cursade for Chirst and, by no real effort of his own, has been used to bring together hundrends, perhaps thousands, of college students from all over the state of Ohio for a day of prayer and fasting for revival. This is SO out of his league and yet another example of how God was the one in charge of the planning. My son was not even aware of a nationally known speaker when he got a call from her offing to come and speak for free at this meeting. This speaker is Becky Tirabossi, a lady who worked closely with Bill Bright and now is very focused on prayer. Becky had already planned to be at OSU on the same date as the prayer gathering. Nobody but God could plan that ... especially since my son didn't even know who Becky was.

Now, you have to understand what a big turn off all of this is for me. It reeks of ego and control and can quickly lead to the "I'm big and your little" way of looking at things. But I have to take notice .... esepcially since I KNOW that no one TRIED to do this or planned it in any way .... it all just fell in place as if Someone else is doing it all.

So, what am I saying? I've really no idea. Just that I think I'm being challenged to expect more from God .... That maybe I shouldn't automatically count some things out that I don't like or understand them, because God may in fact be using them too .....That maybe I need stop limiting Him by thinking too small ..... That maybe the mundane has become too comfortable ..... That maybe I need to remember who I serve. What's the name of Your God?

4 comments:

David Cho said...

Thanks for opening my eyes to what God does regardless of whether we acknowledge it or are aware of it or not. We tend to put him in the box and define him in accordance with our limitations. But it is important to remember that he is a lot bigger than that.

Michael the Forgiven said...

I can't remember who it was, some brilliant author, who challenged readers to pray with expectancy. The author talked about all the reasons we do not do that. How many people really believe God will answer their prayer for the miraculous healing of someone with cancer? I have such a hard time praying for people who are sick. I know full well that God CAN heal, and that He actually does do that at times. Or, when I had that stupid tumor in the middle of my head. I did not pray that God would take it away. I believed He could, but I guess I also figured He allowed it to grow there for a reason. And, after a year of all those stupid tests, I didn't want them to suddenly say, "Hey, there's nothing there now! We'd better do another year of test to make sure. First, lets pull out another gallon of blood." Then, when they finally did get in there, the neurosurgeon said that all he found was, "fibrous junk". And, then that fibrous junk immediately disappeared up the sucker, so no biopsy either. *sigh* Now, did all that happen becuase someone prayed? Or, because someone did not pray? Baffles the heck outta me.

I admire those people who pray and then God provides. Like they need $34.17 to pay the light bill. They pray, walk outside, and a homeless person walks up to them and gives them a bag with 3,417 pennies in it. You know, really woowoo stuff like that. I don't have that faith. Maybe it's because . . . hmm, I wonder why I don't believe like that?

Amber, thanks for raising the issue of what we do or do not expect from God. How big is my God?

What is the Name of my God? Harold.

You know, Our Father in Heaven, Harold be Thy Name.

Amber said...

Hey David and Michael!

You know what? The pastor who adopted all those special needs kids is one of those folks who prays, trusts that God will provide, and then low and behold, HE does! He has some really amazing stories to tell. I've seen that sort of thing happen in my life as well though not with the regularity that he does. I suppose I don't "need" God as much as my friend does. Ha!

Since I've been challenged I've tried something .... our church is taking 3 truck loads of furniture to MS next week. They leave the 9th of Oct. Someone suggested that we do a benefit concert so they can also take money down to the hurricane victims. Good idea, eh? But it needed to be done this week! Put a concert together and get the word out in a week?? But I decided to let God handle it. I got the ball rolling by making some calls and told God the rest was up to Him. Tonight is the concert so we'll see what happens. I suppose this wey only He can get any glory becuase it's humanly impossible.

Michael, you've raised another issue for me - healing. Arrghhhh.... what to do with that booger?? I may have to post some of my thoughts on that becuase it is sure an issue that has baffled me for a long time.

Amber said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.