- Work called - they asked me to stay longer on Sunday. (I'm already working a 12 hour shift but they want me to stay longer).
- A co-worker called, asking me to work her shift today (which would mean that I would work at least a 20 hour shift and possibly a 24 hour shift - I said "no".)
- A friend called asking me to do her a favor - something she could have done herself.
- My son needed me to help him fix his car.
- My husband needed me to go to the store and get some oatmeal, brown sugar and milk - I forgot the milk so I'll have to go back.
In the movie, Joon eventually falls in love with an oddball character (Sam) who sees her as a human being who "aside from being a little mentally ill, seems pretty normal". Joon's brother Benny struggles with her new romance. Benny thinks she needs to stay with him because she needs him to look out for her, something Sam can't do because he's so ill equiped to deal with life himself. But is it Benny that needs Joon to stay sick? The movie has a lot to say about being needed vs. being wanted. I don't much care for being needed. I'd rather be wanted. I'm much rather have people calling me to say "let's get together" rather than to say, "will you do this for me".
I imagine that God is the same way. I have a feeling that He would much rather us want Him than need Him. And more importantly, I think He probably wishes that we would take joy in the fact that we are wanted by Him rather than longing to be used by Him. Being used by God implies that He needs us. He doesn't. God can use anything or anyone - believe or not. He can use a Jackass, and does quite often. Being used by God is not the big deal that a lot of people make it out to be. It's nice, it's fun, sometimes it's exciting, but it doesn't come close to knowing that we are wanted by Him.