About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Not All Treasure is Silver and Gold, Mate.

Where is your treasure? I've been thinking about that, and asking myself to answer that honestly. Yes, I have pirates on my mind a lot these days. I'm still working on planning the party for Grand Isle and it has a pirate theme so it seems that everything is taking on a pirate flavor these days. Even my shopping for stuff for the party has become a "treasure" hunt rather than a shopping trip. I do like to make things fun when I can even if it is silly. Then today I open my bible and read,



Don't hoard treasure down here where it gets eaten by moths and corroded by rust or - worse! - stolen by burglars. Stockpile treasure in heaven, where it's safe from moth and rust and burglars. It's obvious, isn't it? The place where your treasure is, is the place you will most want to be, and end up being.
Matt. 6:19-21


So, where do I most want to be?? Well, it depends. Latley I've most wanted to be in bed sleeping because I've gotten so little of it, and then I think that generally I most want to be at home with my family. I'm a real homebody and just love to sit and watch TV or a movie with my family around. In the daytime I really love nothing more than putting together mission trips. It wears me out and sometimes the crew can drive me crazy wtih questions and whining and not doing what they're supposed to be doing, but basically, I love it.

But, I think, if I had to narrow it all down to just one thing ... I would have to say that I most like to be in the presence of God. Whether that is here on this earth or in heaven in the next, that is my hope and my joy .... to simply enjoy Him.

Unfortunatly, life often takes me away from the place I most want to be. Things need to be done... kids need attention, dishes need washing, dinner needs cooked ... arghh... even as I type this my son's doctor called and needs to see him today ... and I had a full day already. :\ I love the line in the Rich Mullins' song, that says, "Stuff of earth competes for the allegiance I owe only to the Giver of all good things". That's my life.

So when I feel the tug of daily life it helps to remember what Paul said in Romans.




Everything comes from Him;
Everything happens through Him;
Everything ends up in Him.
Always glory! Always praise!
Yes. Yes. Yes.

So here's what I want you to do, God helping you: Take your everyday oridinary life - your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking around life - and place it before God as an offering. Embracing what God does for you is the best thing yoou can do for Him.


So, I'm off to try to live this out at least for today.

6 comments:

Bruce said...

I know how you feel to be taken away from the presence of God by all of our activities. We, as Christ Followers, need to learn how to experience God's presence even in the everyday things we do. Jesus said that (the everyday things - especially the worries) was what choked the Word of God out of us.

Let us know how things go at the doctor. I'll be praying when I can.

B~

Lorna said...

Great challenge. I think it's especially hard in the build up to Christmas and that's doubly hard for you in the USA as you have thanksgiving too.

be blessed

Bruce said...

Hey Amber, what happened with your son's doctor visit?

Amber said...

Hi Bruce,

We're still trying to unravel the mystery. The MRI came back OK. Tomrorow he sees two differnt doctors so hopefully we will know something - or we'll know that we still dont' know. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for your prayers.

David Cho said...

Where my treasure is...

That is a sobering thought. I am somewhat scared of having not enough when I can no longer work. How much is enough to retire? That is impossible to predict since there is no way of knowing how long I will live.

l. said...

well stated