About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Tattoos, Death, and Fear

I have a tattoo. I got it some time ago on impulse and I've not regretted it yet. It did shock a few folks though - they weren't quite prepared for their pastor's wife to be inked. :) One lady asked me if it was permanent to which I responded, "no, becuase I'm not permanent. It will rot right along with the rest of me one day".

I've often thought of getting another one but just can't seem to find the "right" one. Yesterday I told my son I was going to get a new tattoo around my wrist like a bracelet with the words "Ain't no grave" forming a broken chain of the bracelet and a tiny skull as the bracelet clasp. I told him that when I'm laying in my casket, everyone will be able to see it and know that I'm free. :) Of course I was kidding about getting the tattoo. Sort of. :) I suppose a skull isn't too ladylike. But then, I've never been accused of being ladylike.

The thought came to me as I was thinking about how life might be different if we ran headlong into it unhinderd by the fear of death ... if we truly believed that death could not hurt us. As Christians, it can't. It hurts those left behind, and I don't want to minimize that, especially today as I've just come from the funeral of a 32 year-old son of a friend. He fell doing a construction job, his young girlfriend is just about to give birth to their second child any day now. Their pain is real and beyond my ability to imagine. But that pain is temporary if we are in Christ. The worst that can happen is that we live in heaven for eternity. And we have the hope of being reunited with loved ones that have passed before us. Not a bad gig, eh?

I don't believe God called us to be safe. I think He calls us to be wise, but unafraid.

Unfortunately, it is not death I fear. I fear life. Living here is scary and too often I fall prey to numerous fears that keep me firmly in their grasp. My challenge is to relinquish those fears to the One who has conqured them. The promise is there, and I have no trouble believing that it is real and that it works when we apply it. I just have one heck of a time applying to my life.



Rom 8:36-39 (Living Bible)

No, for the Scriptures tell us that for his sake we must be ready to face death at every moment of the day-we are like sheep awaiting slaughter; but despite all this, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ who loved us enough to die for us.

For I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from his love. Death can't, and life can't. The angels won't, and all the powers of hell itself cannot keep God's love away. Our fears for today, our worries about tomorrow, or where we are-high above the sky, or in the deepest ocean-nothing will ever be able to separate us from the love of God demonstrated by our Lord Jesus Christ when he died for us.

9 comments:

Janice said...

Oh...why not! Go for the tattoo! :)

Lorna said...

I wrote about tattoos a while ago. A vision of being tattooed on God's hand.

I don't have one though - and prob never will. Far too conservative me, at least in that area. lol

another man said...

Phil. 1:21
To live is Christ, to die is gain.

Gal 6:17
Finally, let no one cause me trouble, for I bear on my body the marks of Jesus.

And the people said..."Amen!"

You are a pretty cool older woman...lol. Tell your son he's pretty cool too ;)
Love,
Yer Baby Boy

Amber said...

Janice - Hi! I just may still get one somewhere. ;)

Lorna - no tattoo Lorna?? LOL. I'll have to look for that post. I like the idea of being tattooed on God's hand.

Another man - older woman?? You're messing up my plans to deny my age ya know. Yes, to live is Christ and to die is gain, but you be careful when you're out there rock climbing and being an "extreme" kind of guy. I'd like for you to continue living in Christ a bit longer. You're a cool kid too - and I am proud of you - even many of our discussions turn into arguments. :) I'll never understand where you got your stubbornness from. ;)

another man said...

Ha Ha

Well....Lets just say its probably not from Dad...

David Cho said...

So can you tell us where the tatoo is?

Amber said...

LOL... the tattoo is a tribal sort of picture of Jesus with a crown of thorns. And it is just above my ankle.

David Cho said...

You are a pastor's wife? How gutsy of you.

Besides another tatoo since you already made inroads on that front, I suggest something else besides another tatoo. Let me think about this and get back to you.

M said...

So did you ever get the extra tattoo?