About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Why do we protest to make a point?

It's amazing what you can learn when you begin blogging. You meet other bloggers by reading other blogs which in turn lead you to yet other blogs and then on to even other blogs. Aside from spending way too much time online, I've discoverd some things ....

I've been reading about the Emerging church. What the heck is that?? It's a bit embarrassing but I'll admit ignorance by saying that I'd never heard of such a creature until I began blogging a few days ago. Since it was a term I kept coming across I began to look into it and enlighten myself before I completely embarrassed myself by saying something really stupid. Granted, I may still say something really stupid, but some things can't be helped.

In any case, I was surprised to find that I would likely fit into this movement quite well. Just so you know, when I began this blog and titled it "Join the Conversation" I did not know that many of the leaders of the emerging church call it "the conversation". My title simply refers to the notion that when we come to Christ we join a "conversation" of sorts with Him - a relationship with Him.

I also discovered that I dislike a lot of the same things about the traditional church that these folks dislike. I found myself identifying really well ... to the point of thinking "I must be part of something even if I have never heard of it"..... and then maybe I identified a bit too well. You see, in the not to distant past I've been fairly critical of the Church. OK, in all honesty I've been really critical of it. I've been told that I'm a rebel and that I'm reckless. Neither of those are true of course, but I can see where someone might think that.

As I read the many ariticles and essays I noticed a flavor of protest that seemed really familiar to me because I had voiced some of those same sentiments. But soon that flavor became ... well, frankly, sickening. I felt ill after reading so much protest and criticism. I felt as if I'd been eating someone's garbage. I felt ill becuase I saw my own critical nature glaring back at me. I wanted to scream back at some of these folks and tell them to "just get on living your life the way God wants you to and you won't have to worry so much about everybody else. Just go do the thing God put you here to do and people will notice and you'll not have to scream to make your point". But then those words ring true for me as well.

Granted, it isn't all about the Emerging church movement - that was just a part of it. Maybe not even a part that truly represents it. There just seemed to be a lot of gripping out there in Christian circles. A lot of hate towards haters. It just made me wonder if those of us who protest so loundly are any different than those we complain about.

So, I'm not sure how I feel about this emerging movement. I'm not sure I care to know how I feel because I'm not sure it matters. I think I'll just shut up and go do my thing.

Edit: After posting I opened my Bible and found this. Please don't think I'm directing it at anyone or any particular group. I am not. It applies more to me than anyone else. I'll leave out the Jews becuase any one of us or any group can easily fall prey to the same old trap of the enemy.

If you're brought up ________, don't assume that yo can lean back in the arms of your religion and take it easy, feeling smug because you're an insider to God's revelation, a connoisseur of the best things of God, informed on the latest doctrines! I have a special word of caution for you who are sure that you have it all together yourselves and because you know God's revealed Word inside and out, feel qualified to guide others through their blind alleys and dak nights and confused emotions to God. While you are guiding others, who is going to guide you? I'm quire serious. While preaching "Don't steal!" are you going to rob people blind? Who would suspect you? The same with adultery. The same with idolatry. You can get by with almost anything if you front it with eloquent talk about God and his law. The line from Scripture, "It's because of you _______ that the outsiders are down on God," shows it's an old problem that isn't going to go away.

Romans 2:17-24 The Message /Remix

9 comments:

Lorna said...

oh I love your site Amber. And this post was excellent food for thought.

I like to think of church - all church - not just the bit that is labelled as emerging - as a crysalis - about to emerge as a beautiful butterfly, the bride of Christ.

It is easy - and you are right to be cautious here - to slip into having a a critical spirit. But I'm reminded too of Esther - how she was prepared (and prepared herself) for months before she met the King.

There is so much more colour and life to God than we've known, seen or even dared to imagine. I think that's part of the change in church and it's exciting to be part of this.

We are going to be seeing more of the radiance and beauty of God, of that I am sure!

be blessed :)

Karen on the Journey said...

Hi Amber!
You just about took the word out of my mouth with this post! I was actually about to blog on this myself.
One site I went to was criticizing See You At the Pole as being about praying in front of others to appear holy, and while I agreed with many of the sentiments, I think that they took it way too far when they posted a picture satirizing it, the picture was of a pole dancing woman, and when I say pole dancing I mean the risque kind.
Anyway, I'm just tired of it being hip for people in my age group to be cynical and jaded about the church. And like you, I've been burned by church and what I like to call "religious people". But sometimes you just gotta move forward and live your life, for cryin' out loud!:)

Amber said...

"I like to think of church - all church - not just the bit that is labelled as emerging - as a crysalis - about to emerge as a beautiful butterfly, the bride of Christ."

I like that Lorna! What a beautiful way of looking at the bride. I think we get into trouble when we start seperating and labeling various different parts of the church - we are all one Body. Some parts I like better than others ;) but it's not up to me to judge any part.

Amber said...

Hi Karen,

You crack me up girl! :) Thanks for dropping by. I think I saw that same site about the See You At the Pole. Sad, isn't it. It's just beginning to pain me more to hear such criticism. BTW, I'm a samurai too. ;)

David Cho said...

Nice posting. I have been a bit curious about the emergent movement as well, but the protesting aspect of it would turn me off too as I've done my own share (you can see under "My Essays about Faith on my blog. Yeah, a shamless plug :)).

Michael the Forgiven said...

Amber,

Your post inspired me to think a little about the emergent movement and post a thought or two on my blog. I'll follow David's lead and also make a shameless plug for my blog. :)

Amber said...

Hey David - I just now figured out where I know you from. DUH! I'm a bit slow I guess. :) Glad to have you here and I did add a link to your blog. BTW, how's your blog coming? ;) I've not read your essays YET, but I will get to them. I love all of your posts that I have read. You always make me laugh and that's a big deal to me. :)

Amber said...

Michael - I did check out your blog and your post on the emergent church. Good thoughts. I'll try to post some comments on that in a while. Right now I need to sleep. I've just come home from work and will have about 4 hours to sleep before I go back in and work 14 hours, then go striaght to church. :b I hate weekends. :b

David Cho said...

Thanks Amber.

I placed a link to your blog as well. Really enjoy reading your thaoughtful takes on various issues and your writing style is beautiful.

This just came to my mind. The church that came of the Reformation is called "Protestant," because after all, it was born out of protest, right?