About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Calling

On his blog, Michael has asked "what is your calling"? I thought I would respond here rather than clutter up his comment section with a long post.

I was actually just thinking about this earlier today. I hadn't really thought of it as a calling, but it is my passion and it is something that other people notice in me, so I suppose that may be considered an indication of a calling. I tend to be drawn to those individuals that are often seen as outsiders ... people who are weird, or differnet, or poor, or messed up in some way. One of my best friends has called me "the patron saint of lost causes". Let me assure you he did not mean that as a compliment ... he was rather upset with me at the time he said it, but I suppose it may be true in the sense that I find myself drawn to the people no one else cares about.

Part of this comes out of my own feelings of being an outsider. I can relate to people who don't quite fit in or who struggle in some way because I have experienced not fitting in and struggle for most of my own life. My heart goes out to people in pain and it's only natural that I want to let them know that someone cares.

Another reason is simply that I believe that the only things that matter in life are to love God and love other people. I really can't think of anything else that matters a whole lot. I also find it difficult to ignore Matthew chapter 25.

The thing is, a lot of people believe that we should love ... and a lot of people do try to love others but they do so expecting something in return. I don't believe that is the kind of love God calls us to. In fact, I don't believe that is love at all. For a long time I expected a return, or a response of some sort ... or at least some evidence that my caring mattered to the person I was reaching out to. But I've learned that even that is not something that can be expected. Love is most pure when it is given with any expectaion. The person may or may not love us back, they may or may not change, they may or may not care that we care, and they may never find Christ because of our love. It is simply the loving that we are to do and without regard for the results.

That is not to say that I find this calling easy to live out. I fail miserably at times. I actually find it much easier to love those who have been cast aside by others than to love the person in the pew next to me who thinks they have it all together. Thankfully I serve a gracious and forgiving God.

4 comments:

Lorna said...

It's great amber.

I think the secret is to love expecting nothing in return. I have three exchange students in my cell this term (over here from England) tonight we were talking about saints - people who had made a difference.

one shared that there's an older lady who sends her little notes, study guides and chocolate in the post (also when back home at uni) - and expects nothing back!

that's being faithful to a calling and making a difference in a life - though this young girl IS very lovable she is shy and yeah perhaps a little of an outsider too.

I loved it too that you have the nickname of the patron saint of lost causes. God never gives up on anyone - so he's given you a real anointing and a mission I think :) He may not have been complimenting you, but he sure blessed you in that title

Bar Bar A said...

Praise God for "saints" like you! How else would be get Christ's love across to people if it werent for you and others that have a heart for the "weird ones". I think I fall into the category of caring for them and being one :)

David Cho said...

Well, sounds like you're modeling yourself after Jesus since he too spent most of his time with those marginalized and ostracized by society.

Thanks Amber.

Lorna said...

hi Amber
sorry about the comments over at stf.

I chose not to delete them because Jesus didn't run from lepers he loved them and tried to heal them. That's how I feel about NKBJ. It's ironic because perhaps deep down it's what he things he is doing too

Thank you for your kind words. I bless your ministry - not for what you said to me - but because of the good fruit that comes from what you do. You are faithful to your calling. That's what God asks of us.

be blessed :)