About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

2005 in Review

I'm a bit late in posting this. Okay, so I'm a lot late. Oh well .... Wanna hear my excueses? I worked over 40 hours in 3 days over Christmas weekend, then continued to work extra hours after Christmas. This week, it's been all about puppy. Jazz is 12 years old so it has been a while since we had a puppy and I had forgotten how much WORK puppies are. It's a full-time job. I had also forgotten just how much poop a tiny puppy can manufacture. Whew! I barely get one mess cleaned up before she's making another! I'm actually looking forward to going to work and letting someone else take over puppy patrol for a while. :)

Well anyway, about 2005, here are some happenings in our family in the past year:

Cody met Allison, the "love of his life". They are not engaged, yet, but I've never seen the boy so smitten. She is beautiful and sweet and sold out to Jesus and frankly, I couldn't have hand picked a better girl for him. He is also still attendning Miami Universtity with a communications major and hopes to go into ministry - possibly with Campus Crusade for Christ. He also led a state-wide weekend of prayer and fasting for college students from all over Ohio and was one of the speakers. He is working at Home Depot and between a girlfriend, ministry, and job, he stays pretty busy.

Logan got his driver's liscence and began driving! Yikes! He also began his first job at McDonald's and has already made crew trainer. He hopes that in 2006 he will be able to get into the vocational school and start planning his career in law enforcement. He's wanted to be a cop since a particular DARE officer at his school made a big impression on him in the 5th grade.

Brian (my husband), published his third book,Beyond the Passion, a fictional novel about the days just after the crusifiction. He is still in ministry as well, and is in fact embarking on his 19th year at our church. Brian also has a heart for missions/outreach and organized 3 trips to Mississippi and Louisiana after hurricane's Katrina and Rita.

As for me, this year has been full of ups and downs, like it has been for most of the human race. Some memoral happenings are losing my cousin Brad to suicide. His birthday is tomorrow and I've thought of him often throughout the holidays. He was a bright, happy, sweet, funny kid who continues to be missed by all who knew him.

I also lost "B", one of the ladies I cared for. She was schizophrenic, and bipolar in addition to being mentally retarded. Most of the time she was a delight to work with and definately made my job anything but boring but she became violent toward the other client and had to be moved to anohter home. I miss her most of the time. That leaves me with "T", who is a pretty good fit for me but can be a challenge at times. Can't we all.

I also led my second mission team to the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation and began planning for the third trip that will take place in '06. In addition to that, I spent some time on the Rez without the group and was able to participate in the American Indian Council. That was a real treat and something I will not soon forget. I also went to Mississippi and Louisianna with my husband's hurricane relief team.

I continue to crochet once in a while, read, and have now discovered scrapbooking. And finally, I began blogging! Sort of. I do wish I had more time and motivation to post more regularly but it seems the daily grind is an enemy to trying to reflect and think!

3 comments:

Bruce said...

I know what you mean about time and motivation to blog...I've got the same problem about a lot of things. I pray you and your family have a very happy and blessed year. May the God of Peace and the Peace of God be with you all.

B~

Lorna said...

blessings

lovely review of the year. I could 'see' the family and share the ups and downs you've felt

Gary Means said...

Thanks for sharing your life with us, Amber.

More pics of the puppy as he grows, please.

I have a question about starting ministries. If I recall correctly, you were instrumental in starting the Pine Ridge trips, the Haiti trip, and the Matt 25 proj. Am I correct? Even if I only got one out of three, I'd be interesting in hearing about the process you went through when deciding to begin these ministries. Did you wrestle with whether it was something coming from God vs. something coming out of your own needs? A second question, for Brian if he's game. Did he wrestle with the same issue regarding writing his books? Any thoughts from either of you on risking when one seems to feel led by God to start something, but is hesitant to step out in faith because of fears, uncertainties, mixed motives, etc.? thanks