About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Friday, March 31, 2006

Dead Serious About Life

I'm just back from seeing the play Dead Serious About Life. It is a group of Christian teens from our area who do this play and 3 of "my kids" from church were in it. They were great by the way, and I'm not just saying that becuase I feel like a "mom" to them. The play is definately worth seeing if it is ever in your area (they travel the U.S.) as it deals with many of the issues teens face.

One issue it deals iwth is suicide. In fact, if you see the play you will witness a young man fatally shoot himself (not for real of course). I thought I would be OK during that scene but it was far more difficult than I had thought. On April 17th it will be one year since my cousin Brad committed suicide and I still miss him so much. There is a lot I could say about Brad but I'm almost late for work and I have the world's slowest computer so for now, I'll just post a pic of him (a bad one at that) and say that please, if you know of someone who you think might be considering suicide, please do whatever it takes to get them help. The pain they leave behind is huge.

5 comments:

Layla said...

I am so sorry about Brian, I know the pain. It would be really hard to watch that play and know someone who had so recently done the same thing. I can't imagine.

I almost don't want to say this cause it's starting to get eeire how much we have in common, but I've lost a cousin to suicide also, Armand. Actually two if you count Tommy who is living but has brain damage from a failed attempt. And I lost a good friend in HS.

Its the hardest type of death to deal with (I think).

Is it okay to ask more about Brad...did he leave a wife or kids behind? Did he leave a note? I am so sorry for your loss. It brings tears to my eyes.

Amber said...

It's fine to ask about Brad. I was going to post more about him on the 17th but I think I"ll just go ahead and make a new post about him. He was not married and did not have kids but he loved kids and adored his little niece.

Dreaming again said...

I found your blog in a round about way ... I think on a blog that keeps track of other christian bloggers.

I'm so sorry. My step dad committed suicide when I was 14, he was my daddy ... such a terrible pain. If they only knew how much they'd be missed.

Anonymous said...

hey i think the play was amazing i have been through divorce depression and self inflicted in juries but in a couple weeks im getting saved and im recieving treatment and dealing with my problemss the play really opened my eyes about helping my friends and myselfso i want to thank you you guys are great and im so sorry for your loss

Marella said...

When did you see the play? I'm in it this year, and I was last year. Here's the updated website if you want it: www.mish-inc.com
God bless