About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Dropping Out: Part 2

With so many details of my life in disarray I began taking a good hard look at where my life was going, or not going as the case was. In early January 1980 a pastor's wife of a local church called me saying, "I hear you are needing a job and you are just the kind of person we are looking for to work in our daycare center. Come in a put your application in and you can start Monday". Little did she know... But I needed a job and she was offering. I took her up on her offer and started working with a whole staff of Christian in a church run daycare center. I started back to church because my job required it and because I really was seeking answers. I wasn't sure I could really live a "Christian life" so I wasn't making any commitments or promises. I was just going to "check things out" while doing some serious thinking.

Three weeks. That's how long it took me to surrender. I think once I opened the door, God stepped in and began working. Some talk of the "hound of heaven" tracking them down. I know what they mean.

I had also begun to make plans for a "real job". I was accepted to the Central Academy of Commercial Art in Cincinnati but classes were not to start until August of that year. So I worked at the daycare and began dating a man from church who I was later to discover, was an alcoholic. What can I say, I have great taste in men.

Over the course of that year something was bothering me though. Somehow I wasn't convinced that God really wanted me to be an artist. That was a disturbing thought since all I had ever wanted was to be an artist. I talked to every mature Christian I could find about this matter and they all said the same thing - "God needs Christian artists". Yes He does, but I still was not satisfied. Probably because deep down inside I knew God had other plans for me.

That August, I went ahead and attended 11 months of art school. I did well and won the praise of my rather irritable instructor. However, I was already feeling the "call" to a ministry of some sort and all the trappings of success, money and power that were being lauded in the advertising world, were a huge turn-off to me. I wanted something more meaningful than pushing products and trying to be better that the next guy. I wanted to work with people. After 11 months I dropped out of art school again and began to search for a college where I could get a degree in the social sciences. My dream was to live in a trailer on an Indian reservation, to have a dog and a horse, and to work with children.

That was not to be. At least, not exactly.

1 comment:

yo4rker said...

I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»