About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Quote

"Q: Money. Irishness. God. Which one couldn't you live without?

Bono: Wow. Well it's an easy question to ask but... here's a thing. When I was 16, my head was exploding. I just felt my life was going nowhere. I didn't fit in. I couldn't get a job. I didn't know how I could do my exams and I wasn't even sure I could concentrate at college. In those days, I remember, a prayer came up inside me. I said "I don't know what I'm going to do with my life but if there's a God out there, and I believe there is, and You want me to do something, then I'm ready. I don't have any plans for myself and I'm available for work."

Pretty much within a few months of that epiphany I had joined U2 and started going out with Ali. A pretty good two months! Now had my destiny been -- if the God in heaven had said I want you to become a fireman and run up very dangerous buildings and save people's pets, I'd like to hope I'd have gone at it with the same gusto.

So -- I couldn't let go of my faith. But what's more interesting is that I don't think God will let go of me. I love it when people on bar stools rub their chins and say do you believe in God? That's so presumptuous. A much more important question is does God believe in us?

Q: That sounds like you believe you were chosen.

Bono: No, no, no, I don't believe that. I do think God gets a laugh out of using some very poor materials. I volunteered is what I'm telling you."

--Bono in Q Magazine

2 comments:

Gary Means said...

A friend of mine, who is far more conservative than I, has tried to get me to read an online article about what a terrible person Bono is. I've tried, but have never been able to access it. I would guess that they will take some things that he's said and use them to "prove" that he's a "bad Christian" or maybe not even a Christian at all, in their eyes.

You know, it's an odd thing, this judging the faith of others. I don't know if it's chronological age or the number of years that I've been a Christian (51 and 28), but I am less and less willing to put people in categories based on my assumptions about them. I believe God does indeed work in mysterious ways. I suspect that we'll be surprised at who's around for eternity in Heaven. I'd put money on Bono being there.

I haven't really followed his career even though I am a fan. But from what I've seen, it appears that he is using his stardom for good.

Bar Bar A said...

Amber, hope you don't mind if I respond to Gary's comment here - Gary, I am wondering if it's the article I read a few months back, I want to say it was in Relevant Magazine...but why would they slam Bono? If I find it, I'll let you go. I remember being very upset by it.