About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Thoughts From A Scrambled Mind

I've been thinking lately about what it means to be criticized by other Christians for hanging too closely with "sinners". Several things have brought this up; this morning I read that Dr. Landy, the psychologist who was famous for treating Brian Wilson, had passed away. Landy's involvment with Brian Wilson was questionable at best but while reading his obituary I was struck that it read, "cristicized for having a relationship with troubled Beach Boy Brain Wilson". I'm not saying whether Landy's influence over Wilson was good or bad - that's not for me to say, but something about that particualar line reminded me of Jesus being criticised for hanging with sinners. Luke 15:1-2

Secondly, I've been reading 2 different books about Bono and U2. Over the years there has been a fair amount of criticism of Bono for his non-traditional approach to Christianity. Many have questioned whether or not Bono really is a Christian, even though he claims to be. How could he possibly be a Christian when he smokes, drinks, curses, and "still hasn't found what he's looking for"?? I don't know if Bono's approach to Christianity is a good one or not. Again, that's not for me to say. But I do know that I hear in his lyrics the message of the Gospel and I see in his life the radical effects of one who has taken hold of that message and is taking to a world mostly ingnored by traditional Christians. It seems he may well be following in the footsteps of our Lord - Jesus was not only critisized for hanging with sinners - he was accused of being a glutton and a drunkard too.

Later Jesus and his disciples were at home having supper with a collection of disreputable guests. Unlikely as it seems, more than a few of them had become followers . The religion scholars and Pharisees saw him keeping this kind of company and lit into his disciples: 'What kind of example is this, acting cozy with the riff-raff?' Mark 2:15 - The Message


Thirdly, my mother-in-law sent me a letter saying that she had read on my blog that we are using a "pirates" theme when we go out to the reservation this summer. She expressed some concnern about this and told me she didn't think pirates should be glorified. I see her point and I respect it. I really do. And I knew going into this that someone would object. That is fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I have mine as well and I tend to think that every kid out there is well aware of the HUGE Disney hit movie and knows that it is all fantasy and fun. To play with them on their level is more important to me than pleasing those who would object.

It also occurs to me that we (Christians) tend to think that true hospitality involves welcoming the outcasts of society into our places of worship. That is certainly true and as my son Cody points out in his blog, too often they are not welcomed. "We don't want to get the carpet dirty". To welcome them into our place, whether it be our church or our home, is one thing, but I wonder why we wait for them to come to us? I would guess that they realize that they would not be welcome in our churches and homes, which is why we need to take the first step and go to them. Then, when they know we accept them, maybe they will come to our place. Maybe the real problem is not whether they are welcome, but whether we really do accept them. I have a hunch they know the average Christian doesn't.

"John the Baptizer came fasting and you called him crazy. The Son of Man came feasting and you called him a lush. Opinion polls don't count for much, do they? The proof of the pudding is in the eating." - Luke 7:35 - The Message

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is one of the books "Get Up Off Your Knees"?

Amber said...

No, but I've seen that one. I am currently reading, Walk On by Stever Stockman and One Step Closer by Christian Scharen.

Perplexio said...

Excellet post, Amber. I've always wondered how Christians ever expect non-Christians to hear the Word of God if they only ever hang out with other Christians and treat the church like a "members-only club."

The thing I've always found striking about the Bible is that he led by example. And His was an example we should all follow. Regardless of the beliefs of others he treated them with tolerance, wtih love, and respect. And it's that very tolerance, love, and respect that won over so many that would end up following Him.

If we're supposed to be spreading the good word, how can we ever expect to spread it if we refuse to mingle with "non-Christians"?

Bar Bar A said...

Amber, I am so in tune with everything you are saying and, as you know, I hve been reading one of the same books on U2. I don't see how anyone can sit in judgement of Bono, The Edge and Larry and think for a second that they aren't Christians. It blows my mind that people don't even know what these guys say, think and do - they just see what they want and disregard the rest.

Perplexio has put it so well. I agree one million percent.

I have a post on Bono/Christianity but your stuff is so good I think I'll just keep sending people here instead of using mine.

Bar Bar A said...

So you're reading Chronicles too? So am I. This is getting scarey. I just started it last night, he's still in New York and right now he's eating a hamburger with Tiny Tim.

Sue :-) said...

Hi Amber,
I followed the link from Barbara's blog.
I agree with everything you have said.
I will add your blog to my links, if that's okay?

Amber said...

Perplexio - you are absolutely right. :)

Barbara - I've not really had a chance to get into Chronicles. I started it and liked it so much that I decided to wait until I finish up some other books before I get into it. It has a good "feel" to it and I'd like to be able to soak that all up.

Sue - welcome! Thanks for stopping by. I'll be over to check out your blog in a bit. :)