About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Sunday, April 23, 2006

100 Things About Me

Gary did this on his blog and suggested that we give it a try so here it is ... 100 things about me. (WHO in their right mind would really want to read this???)

1. I am an only child.
2. My only sister died before I was born.
3. I once had a job driving a bread truck for Brownberry Bread.
4. I went to college with Steven Curtis Chapman - he was just Steve then and performed with his brother and another guy in the Chapman Daniel's Band.
5. I had considered asking the Chapman brothers to sing at my wedding.
5. My husband was Steven Curtis Chapman's advisor and advised him NOT to go into music. (Great call Brian - how many Grammy's does he have now??)
6. My husband lived next door to Tom Hanks and was friends with his brother Jim.
7. I think cleaning house is a terrible waste of time.
8. I was born at noon on Thanksgiving Day.
9. Some of my batty old aunts tell me that we are related to Sir Francis Drake - a pirate.
10. I love to fall asleep watching Edward Scissorhands (the storybook feel is comforting and puts me right out - besides it's a really sweet story)
11. I love dogs.
12. Most dogs like me too.
13. I have wanted a horse since I was big enough to know what one was.
14. I will never have a horse.
15. I will very likely never see the Rolling Stones live ... but there's always hope - at least as long as they are still alive.
16. I once met Archie Griffin and held a conversation with him and then walked away not having a clue who he was.
17. My dream car is a '65 Mustang - red, of course.
18. My frist crush was when I was in 7th grade and had a huge crush on a senior guy. When my friends told him that I liked him in front of all of his friends, he was very kind and did not laugh or do anything to embarass me.
19. When I was in 8th grade I had a crush on a 10th grade guy. He surprised me and liked me back and when he wanted to sit with me at a basketball game it scared me to death and I ran all the way home. I had not planned on him liking me back.
20. I am a terrible speller.
21. I am only on #21 and I am already bored with this list.
22. I went through a 15th century castle in Transalvania (Romania) - with a torch. How cool is that?
23. My favorite hymn is "Great is Thy Faithfulness".
24. I used to have a home daycare and kept 4 kids plus my own two.
25. One day all the kids in my home daycare were driving me nuts so I told them that I was just going to shoot all of them. I then grabbed my supersoaker water gun and chased them through the house soaking them with water.
26. Their mother walked in and saw it so I shot her too.
27. I once dated a guy who was a pitcher for the Expos.
28. I also once dated a guy who wanted to be the next Ted Nugent.
29. I can't stand to see an animal hurt.
30. I hate war.
31. I have the utmost respect for the men and women who serve in the military. I dont think we will ever be able to thank them enough and I find it appalling that we allow so many of our veterans to live on the streets when they have come home safe but not sound.
32. I used to play guitar but my dog would not even listen to it.
33. I used to play clarinet in the HS band and my dog howled in pain when I practiced.
34. When the band director finally discovered that I could not really play the clarinet he made me the "flag girl".
35. I like mice.
36. I do not like bugs.
37. I do not like snakes.
38. I do not like heights.
39. In spite of my fear of heights I hope to go skydiving someday ... hopefully before too long.
40. I fear swimming in the ocean.
41. I have eaten alligator.
42. I have also eaten some sort of mystery meat and drank "hot swamp water" (moonshine) while I was lost on a canoe trip.
43. I have no earthly idea how to download a song from the internet.
44. I love to read psychological thrillers.
45. I sometimes feed my family ice cream for supper.
46. I go on a date with my husband every week.
47. I think perfect mental health if overrated.
48. I have a weakness for hats, funky sunglasses, and jackets.
49. My biggest struggle in life is accepting mself. Despite years of therapy I don't think I will ever really accept myself.
50. It has been a long time since I have slept so I'm going to bed and will finish this list later.

4 comments:

[rhymes with kerouac] said...

I loved this list! You do have one extra word, though. No really, there's one word too many, one that doesn't belong - an imposter who snuck in when you busy doing other things. Perhaps, when you have a moment, you can snip the "never" from #14.

And I agree - perfect mental health is sooooo over-rated!

Gary Means said...

I read it all and loved it. What countries have you been to? What is your favorite meal? Why were you in Romania?

And on a more personal note, are GSDs particularly challenging to raise? I love them and we have been looking at shelters and rescue orgs online. My wife does not like big dogs, but my son and I really want a GSD. There's a really sweet looking young mix here: http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=5866109&adTarget=&SessionID=444d843b019b51bc-app1&display=&preview=1&row=0&tmpl=&stat= and another here: http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=6126978&adTarget=&SessionID=444d9422684469f4-app4&display=&preview=1&row=75&tmpl=&stat=

Amber said...

RWK - Yeah, I thought that perhaps I should never say never, but it is looking very unlikely and I'm not even sure I even want one now. I'd settle for riding someone else's at this point - that way they could do all the work. ;)

Gary - I suppose this means that I have to do the other 50 things, eh? That was HARD to come up with the first 50. Or, I can just answer your questions here. ;)

Let me get to the one you really want to know now .... GSD's are WONDERFUL. I have had dogs all my life - all varieties. I've had two GSDs and can't say that they are any more challenging than any other dog. The only dog we ever had trouble with was a Chow mix who turned vicious and we had to have him put down. Really. Of all the dogs I've had, our GSDs have been my favorites. If you get one with a good temperment, you've got a great dog. They tend to all be big cowards in spite of their reputation for being vicious. They are really just afraid. I once took my other GSD to the vet (he was an adult dog by that time) and a tiny dog barked at him. It scared him so much that he peed in the floor. Taser is the same way. My vet tells me all GSDs are that way. They are extremely loyal dogs too. They will protect their people and their property in spite of being afraid. Their love for their people is just greater than their fear. You do need to socialize them though. As puppies they need to have as many interactions with people and other dogs as possible. That will help them to not become a mean dog as an adult. They also could use a training class. WIth their large size, you need to have them understand that you are the boss. Neither of my GSDs had training. We did take Taser to a few weeks of classes but she slept through the classes and we got lax on following up at home with what we learned, so ....

But she is doing well. She seems to mind pretty well unless she is really excited. I can live with that. We never had any peoblems with our other GSD even though he never had any training.

They are very smart dogs and learn things pretty well. They also tune into their owners emotions very well. And they behave accordingly.

Taser is a funny dog with a really cute personality. Even my mom who doesn't like dogs thinks Taser is wonderful. She definately keeps us laughing at her antics.

Now I'm off to check out that doggie you left the link for. :)

Amber said...

Awww. Kayla and Cleatus are both adorable. Sounds like Kayla may like to chew though. Taser does too. They tell me that you can offer them a toy in place of what they are chewing on and that will break them of it. I don't believe it. The bitter apple spray does work though. Good luck in your search.

Brian, the guy who swore we'd never have TWO dogs at the same time and said, he just "couldn't" handle another dog right now has fallen completly in love with Taser. He is pathetic. He comes home and calls her "daddy's little girl", has downloaded all of her pics onto his PDA to show people, even got up in the middle of the night to hand feed her when she was a very little puppy - he wanted to make sure she ate. The man has definately lost it over that puppy.