About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Monday, April 10, 2006

Communion

I always enjoy watching children take communion. I'm sure that there are some churches that would not allow a small child to participate in communion, but I think they are missing a blessing. Somehow, I think kids often have a better handle on it than adults.

During the evening service yesterday I watched as one young mother took her 3 year-old son to the altar with her for communion. She patiently explained it to the wiggly little guy who then gladly ate and drank it with the unhibited delight only a child can express.

Shortly after that another family knelt at the altar with their 2 year-old. I smiled as I overhead the little girl asking "What's that?" followed by yet another "What's that?" from a few pews away. Her grandmother, a good friend of mine, explained about the body and blood of Jesus in terms her grandchild could understand. After eating the cracker and juice the little girl looked up and shouted "I want some more!"

After the service I overhead one of the teenage boys as he grabbed a friend and said, "Hey there's leftover juice and crackers in the back - let's go get it!" I thought about how some people would find that quite offensive and felt sory for them. I'm glad that our church with all it's flaws allows people to experience even something as sacred as communion with such freedom.

I then wandered into the Narthex and soon found myself in conversation with another lady. She told me it was the first time she had taken communion even though she has been a Christian for years. She had been raised by a mother who warned her to never touch communion unless she was absolutely sure that she was deserving.

I thought it sad that so many miss out on the sacrament of communion because they don't feel they deserve it. I mean, isn't that the whole point of communion - that none of us deserve it. I thought about how different her experience was from that of the children who were freely partaking and asking for more and I wondered how many other guilt-ridden followers of Jesus needlessly miss out on true communion with Him.

I've been reading Psalms lately. And I am reminded of how the psalmist expressed such honest and sometimes even raw emotion before God. In one phrase there is tortured lament and questioning God, and in the next extravagant praise for a God who sees and hears our pain and acts on our behalf. I am grateful to follow a God who is not put off by our messy emotions or our doubtful faith. I wish we all had a childlike inhibition and felt free enough to bring our brokenness into communion with Him and leave exclaiming "I want some more".



Peace (A Communion Blessing from St. Joseph's Square)

Rich Mullins and Beaker


Though we're strangers, still I love you
I love you more than your mask
And you know you have to trust this to be true
And I know that's much to ask
But lay down your fears, come and join this feast
He has called us here, you and me

And may peace rain down from Heaven
Like little pieces of the sky
Little keepers of the promise
Falling on these souls
This drought has dried
In His Blood and in His Body
In the Bread and in this Wine
Peace to you
Peace of Christ to you

And though I love you, still we're strangers
Prisoners in these lonely hearts
And though our blindness separates us
Still His light shines in the dark

And His outstretched arms are still strong enough to reach
Behind these prison bars to set us free

So may peace rain down from Heaven
Like little pieces of the sky
Little keepers of the promise
Falling on these souls the drought has dried
In His Blood and in His Body
In this Bread and in this Wine
Peace to you
Peace of Christ to you

And may peace rain down from Heaven
Like little pieces of the sky
Like those little keepers of the promise
Falling on these souls the draught has dried
In His Blood and in His Body
In the Bread and in this Wine
Peace to you
Peace of Christ to you
Peace to you
Peace of Christ to you


Copyright 1993 - Edward Grant, Inc.

5 comments:

Bill said...

"Somehow, I think kids often have a better handle on it than adults."

This is supposed to be a true story. A young mother had taken her young child to church and communion. On the way home they stopped at McDonalds and got meals with fries. As they were eating, the child dipped a fry in the ketchup and held it out to his mother saying, "The body of Christ ..."

Gary Means said...

Thank you, Amber, for posting these wonderful thoughts. You've given me something beautiful to meditate upon as I work this morning.

Amber said...

Bill - that is a cute story and knowing kids, I'd bet it really is true.

Gary - good to "see" you. Have fun at work if that's possible.

Bar Bar A said...

Amber, you have no idea how much I needed to hear this today. This is what hit me hardest:

I am grateful to follow a God who is not put off by our messy emotions or our doubtful faith. I wish we all had a childlike inhibition and felt free enough to bring our brokenness into communion with Him and leave exclaiming "I want some more".

Please pray for me. I don't even ask liking for prayer for myelf, I feel selfish, but I need it. I need to turn the corner - I'm not in a good place. Thanks, sister.

Lorna said...

wonderful :)

messy emotions and doubtful faith.. God is bigger than us. Praise God!