About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Sunday, April 16, 2006

A Great Day to Get Kicked Out of Church

19 years ago on Easter Sunday was a bad day for my husband and I. He was pastoring a small church in Alabama and we were asked to leave. Actually, we were forced out. No immorality. No big sin. No real reason other than a few people had always controlled the church and they wanted us out.

We lost everything. We lost our home because we lived in a parsonage. We lost our source of income. We had to move to another state and to live with my parents, so we lost our friends. We lost our dog who had been part of our family since he was a puppy. And I watched as my husband lost his self-esteem becuase he was not able to provide for our family. It did not feel like Easter with all of it's promise of life after death. It felt like death.

The next week we walked into our current church and found a seat on the back pew hoping no one would notice us. They did. The pastor, who had been my pastor as a kid, noticed and called out from the pulpit in front of everyone, "Amber, is that you back there? Is that your husband? Where are you all pastoring now?" What a loaded question. My husband and I were looking at each other and wondering how to answer that when a man who we had never met before stood up and said, "They are here looking for a church". Again we looked at each other and wondered who in the world this man was and how did he know that? The rest is history, as they say. The next Sunday my husband was preaching at that church and several months later they voted to bring him on staff.

Over the past 19 years I have watched as God has restored every single thing we lost. And He restored it beyond our wildest imaginations. I even have a new puppy that looks an awful lot like my old dog.

At the time I thought, "What an awful day to be kicked out of a church. Easter Sunday???" But as I look back and see how God has so completely and faithfully fulfilled each promise, I can say that Easter is a great day to get kicked out of a church. Not only does it represent the day of Jesus ressurection and victory over death, but it is also a day marking His faithfulness to me.

What once was hurt
What once was friction
What left a mark
No longer
stings


Because grace makes beauty
Out of ugly things
Grace by U2

1 comment:

ddumping said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site. Keep working. Thank you.
»