About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Romantic Rebel??

Let me explain...

I went shopping the other day. You see, I've gained weight and summer is coming and I am not going to be able to hide in a jacket much longer. I will look pretty silly walking around in a coat in 85 degree weather. SO, it was off to the discount store. That was where I discoverd that ALL of the new styles, while very cute on the hanger, look horrendous on me. I even tried a extra large size thinking that maybe then they wouldn't cling so bad. Clinging when you're my size is NOT a pretty thing. But no, regardless of the size, the fabric is a clingy type of fabric. Now WHY they make extra large sizes in that kind of fabric is beyond me. I was about to resort to shopping in the men's department when I decided to go to Penny's instead. Normally I don't shop there but I thought I might be able to find a sale. And alas, I did find a sale, and a shirt that didn't cling... and I like it! It is pretty, and pink, and all the edges of the fabric are frayed. Woo hooo!!! Now I have one shirt that mostly fits and doesn't cling to show ever ripple and roll. I looked up at the sign above the rack of clothes to make sure they were on sale and don't you know, they were from the line called "Romantic Rebel". I rolled my eyes and thought about how my son would get a kick out of that.

I have several, vastly differing reputations. If you line up ten people and ask them to describe me, you would likely feel like they were describing ten different people. To some (those that do not know me well at all), I am a snob. Many of my friends will tell you that they did not like me for the longest time because they perceived me as being stuck up. Nothing could be further from the truth - the truth of the matter is that I'm absolutely terrified of meeting new people, and so, I'm very difficult to get to know. It's not that I don't like people, it's that I'm quite sure they wouldn't like me.

Others, might tell you that I'm a bleeding heart who's passion is hanging out with those often considered outsiders in hopes of sharing some of the love of Jesus with them. That is true, but I don't do this nearly as often as I would like. Many people think I work at our local homeless shelter. I do not. In fact, it's embarrassing to admit how long it's been since I've even darkened their door to drop off food. I do however take groups on mission trips in the summer and I have started Chistian 12-step recovery groups, and I've done a few other things for "those people", so the reputation has stuck. It's mostly true, but not as true as I wish it were.

And then there are those who think of me as a rebel. How in the world they think that, I'll never know. It can't be that I wear jeans to church (something that's not done if you're a pastor's wife in the mid-west). It can't be that I drive a Jeep. It can't be that I drive that Jeep into the parking lot at church blaring anything from the Rolling Stones to Aretha Franklin. It can't be that I have a tattoo. It can't be that I used to drive a '68 mustang and did donuts in the church parking lot. Nah ... I'm actually one of the more respectful people you'll ever meet. I don't let people put me in a box (which may be why I don't even like being seen as rebelious) but I really do respect those in authority and abide by the rules ... for the most part.

OK, I'll admit that there is a grain of truth in all of those descriptions. But really, I'm pretty boring. My perfect day would be a day of staying at home by the fire and reading a book and maybe doing some crocheting or scrapbooking. I love to cuddle on the couch with my dogs and watch moveis. I make the best apple pie you'll ever eat and fried chicken that my kids request for their birthday dinners. When my kids were younger I was admanant about being an at home mom and am grateful that I was able to do that. I volunteered at school and went to ever T-ball game my kids had. I do love Rock music, but I really don't love going to concerts. I'd rather stay at home and watch a DVD of the concert. I've only actually been to one concert - the Doobie Bros. way back in the 70's. I hated it. I loved the Doobie Bros. at the time but I truly thought I'd died and gone to hell when I went to see them. I distinctly remmber thinking that hell must be an eternal rock concert. And I was NOT a Christian by any means at the time. I was supposed to go to the infamous Who concert in Cincinnati where several people were trampled to death, but it turned out I had to work and couldn't go. Just as well.

So there you have it. I'm just a homebody who has an aversion to being controlled by other people and happend to find a shirt that I liked from the Romantic Rebel line.

3 comments:

Bar Bar A said...

WOW!!!!!

I feel like I just got to know you much better in this post...Get down with your bad self, Amber!!! I can just see you doing donuts in the church parking lot, with the Stones Stones out the window and of course while wearing your jeans and new pink shirt!!!

I love the fact that you are so unique and multi-faceted and don't allow yourself to be contgrolled by others.

I wish I lived closer so I could attend your 12 Step group. I can't seem to find one around here - I mean there are millions of them, but I want a Christian one that deals with overall addictions/issues not just focused on one (I have so many to choose from).

Your shirt sounds really cute and I DOUBT that you are really as overweight as you make yourself sound. I saw a recent pic of you and you are trim and fit looking. And your hair is to die for! Great curly hair!

Catch ya later, I'm goint to order the Keith Richard book. I can't hold out any longer, you've got me very interested in it!

Bruce said...

The Doobie Brothers! Got that in my Bronco now. You are definately not a typical preacher's wife. But then I suppose your husband isn't a typical preacher. Enjoy your "Romantic Rebel" label, or any other label you want to put on yourself. Roll those windows down on your Jeep (or take the top off if it's that kind), crank up the music, and commence doing donuts. Then go home and curl up with your book and dogs knowing you've ticked somebody off. Life is to be lived.

B~

Amber said...

You guys are so funny. You both had me laughing out loud. And Bruce, as I was driving to the craft store today and blasting rock music, I smiled when I thought of what you said. And yes, my Jeep is the kind you can take the top off of. It's a 1998 Jeep Wrangler Sahara edition, dark green with a tan top. I wish it was black, but oh well.