About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Where Have I Been??

I must say that I don't know where I've been or what I've been reading, listening to, or watching, but somehow I have missed the whole "One" campaign. I'm sure that is not easy to do, but I've managed. I've been a U2 fan since the 80's although I did not listen to much of their music during the 90's. I'm not sure where I was during the 90's but I seem to have been asleep. No doubt I have seen the One Campaign banner before and seen the television commercials but I suppose I just dismissed it as a U2 thing, or a way for some celebrities to get some good press. Sadly, I never paid it any attention.

It seems strange that I have been to courties and seen firsthand this extreme poverty and yet I had neglected something as simple as signing my name to a document saying that I wish for our world leaders to do what they could to end the suffering I was seeing. I've even volunteered for World Vision in past years and still, I missed it.

I also find it strange, and sad, that God uses an Irish rock star to bring the plight of people in 3rd world countries to America. It kind of makes me wonder why the Church has not spoken up. Maybe they have and I've missed that too. I've already proven that it's possible for me to miss a world-wide campaign carried out by people who live in the spotlight.

I've just finished watching a portion of the Vertigo Tour DVD where Bono pleads with the audience to join the One campaign. In his words:


When I was a boy my first impression of American was a man walking on the moon. Neil Armstrong, 1969. I thought these Americans are mad. I thought what could this country do... What can these people do when they put their minds to it. it's incredible.

John F. Kennedy was the one in 1963 he said. "By the end of the decade we will put a man on the moon". Well It wasn't because it was on everybody's mind. It was just the right thing to do. And it was its what we're asking now Pres. Bush, Prime Minister Blair, and all the other world leaders to do. We're asking them to do something extraordinary. Not put man on the moon, more like put mankind back on earth.

We have the technology. We have the resources. We have the know-how to end the extreme poverty.... If we have the will ... and I believe we have the will.

Others, you know ... we have the civil rights movement. Others ended apartheid. Others tore back the iron curtain. Thats what this generation That's what's left to us. This is our moon-shot. We're going to end poverty. that's what's left for us to do I believe that's not an impossible adventure. I believe in 50 years they will look back on this moment and will say there were some people at a time who said its not okay for a child to die for lack of a 20 cent immunization. It's not ok for a child to die for lack of food in his belly in the 21st century. That's not okay anymore. I know you know that, but I'd like you to tell President Bush, Prime Minister Blair that... and any other politician you see ... it's quite easy to do. just take out your cell phone....

We're looking for a million Americans to join us... to email us ...to join the One Campaign. We're not looking for your money - we're looking for your voice.


It is easy. Just click on the banner above and sign the ONE Declaration. It takes about one minute and it's completly free.

These are twin babies who died in Haiti, not far from the United States boraders because they did not have enough oxygen.

This is not about U2, or Bono, or any other celebrity. It's about doing the right thing regardless of who the messenger is.

4 comments:

Bar Bar A said...

Amen! The ONE campaign has done a lot of good (I've got about five of those white bracelets let me know if you want one I'll send it to you).

How tragic that those precious babies died for lack of oxegyn!!!!

It was a moving moment at the concert (what you quoted from Bono) Did you see the part where they actually had you call in a pledge right then and there at the concert then you got a text message on your phone then your name appeared on the big screen behind the band. It was fun and what a great way to make a lot of money for a good cause (I admit I did it - I wanted a my name on that sceen dang it!)

I had a "One" banner across the top of my blog for months but got tired of defending it. Some people don't want to accept that yes - celebrities do make a positive difference.

Hey, here's a flash from the past - do you remember "Hand Across America"? I did that! It was a blast. And of course the whole World Peace/USA for Africa/We are the World stuff. I think of ONE as all those things combined but with a lot more power.

Thanks for bringing it up.

Amber said...

You had to defend the "One" banner on your blog?? Geez. That is sad. I put mine up and I don't care if anyone likes it or not. :) It's my blog and I'll post if I want to. :)

I did see the part where he had everyone take out their cell phones and I caught the screen with the # to text your name to but it didn't show up on the DVD. At least I don't think it did. I just bought the DVD a few days ago and haven't really watched the entire thing yet. I put it on my computer today while I was working on some stuff and that's when I saw the "One" part. I thought "how stuipd if me to ignore such a simple little thing" so I ended up signing the Declarition at one.org as U2 sang One. Weird.

I do rememeber Hands Across America. That is cool that you did that. Sometimes celebs can do some good. And some of them may even have pure motives. :) I admit though, that the celeb endorsements of the One Campaign was probably what made me just dismiss it until now.

It is so cool that you got to see U2 live. I would love that. My husband, who would never go to a Stones concert with me even said he thinks he would enjoy a U2 concert. Maybe one day ....

Oh sure, I'd wear a white bracelet. :) It would go right along with my Children's Hospice bracelet and my Lakota kids prayer bracelet. :) I never wear good jewlery - just stuff that says something about me. I'm a walking advertisement. :)

Christine said...

Other people did bring it up, many others, but it takes a celebrity to be heard so widely.

falco348 said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»