About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

By Request - the rest of the story

It was SOOOO hard to think of the first 50 things and I had decided not to do the whole 100, but, strangely, I have had a number of requests to finish the list. If it were me, I wouldn't waste my time reading this, but here it is ....

51. I am a fan of the Rolling Stones.

52. Keith Richards is my favorite Stone

53. Johnny Depp is my favorite actor.

54. I admire Rich Mullins not only for his music but for the way he lived out his faith.

55. When asked who I would most like to meet, I can say that I've already met him. It was amazing to meet Peter Dugulescu back in 1993. If you've not heard of him, see his story here. It's the only time I've ever been "star struck" and the only person I've asked for an autograph.

56. I am a complete coffee freak. I drink coffee all day long.

57. I was horrified last year to discover that I need bifocals. I refused to wear them so I have contacts and reading glasses - which I also rarely wear. That may explain some typos.

58. I waste way too much time online.

59. My favorite version of the Bible is The Message.

60. Wow, I can't believe I found 10 more things to say.

61. Contrary to popular belief I do not wear a cowboy hat on mission trips to look cool. When I am on a mission trip there is nothing about me that looks remotely cool. I wear it so that I don't have to fuss with my unruly, frizzy, hard-to-manage hair.

62. Many people think that I collect angels. I don't. But now actually I do because people think I do so they give me angels all the time. I'm fine with that. I have nothing against angels. Some people have been so kind (and perhaps delusional) to say that I am an angel.

63. I do not like cake.

64. I do like pie.

65. I love cookies.

66. I like the new Coke Blak (it has coffee in it so of course I like it)

67. There usually has to be something for me to "connect" to in music before I will really like it.

68. Sometimes that thing I connect to is just a sense of fun - as in most of the Stones music.

69. I am particularly drawn to the music of Rich Mullins and U2 because a lot of their songs express the cry of my heart. They also sound great.

70. Number 69 is not a repeat of #54, but an explanation of it.

71. I still do not know how to use MySpace. I'm such a nerd.

72. One of my greatest gifts/strengths/whatever you want to call it is that I care deeply about people who have been marginalized and who are outcasts. I feel most alive when I am serving them and think I would die spiritually and emotionally if I did not.

73. The curse that comes with that gift is that I often become very frustrated when other people do not care about those people.

74. I also get frustrated with myself for getting frustrated with other people.

75. The older I get the less I care what people think about me.

76. I still care way too much what other people think of me.

77. I have difficulty singing "God Bless America". I think God should have mercy on America.

78. I am terrible at writing letters. I'm actually terrible with writing anything that requires a pen or pencil and paper.

79. I hate my hair.

80. I also hate what gravity is doing to my body.

81. Revisiting #53 - contrary to popular belief, the thing that attracted me to Johnny Depp was NOT his looks, but his talent. I knew for years that he was good looking and didn't give a rip about it. But when I saw him act for the first time I was blown away. I had no idea he was that good.

82. That said, he is good looking.

83. The worst thing I have ever worn in public was when we got our new puppy last January. I would take her out in the middle of the night or early morning to do her "business" wearing my favorite winter-time around the house get up - blue and back plaid flannel pants, a long-sleeved white t-shirt, and a red and green plaid robe. Going out in the snow I added my husband's green rubber knee-high boots.

84. I love bacon.

85. I have green eyes.

86. My natural hair color is very dark brown.

87. My natural hair color is becoming very grey so I color it because I feel too young to be grey.

88. I really like the girl my son is dating.

89. I believe that assets can easily become liabilities.

90. I do not have a favorite food, but if I did, pizza would be one of the contenders.

91. I do not hold grudges very well, even when I really want to.

92. I need to lose 30 pounds.

93. My favorite time of the year is Fall.

94. I think vacuum cleaners are very poorly designed.

95. In spite of being married for almost 23 years I still ask my husband every day if he likes me.

96.

97.

98.

99.

100.

*note* I cannot think of another thing to say so the last 5 things on this list are for you to fill in. Leave them in the comments section. :)

7 comments:

Gary Means said...

Thank you. :) I enjoyed that.

#72 is one of my favorite things about you.

96. Amber has a lot of wisdom.

97. Amber is a very giving person.

98. Amber is a good friend to have.

99. Amber is honest/real/authentic, etc.

100. Amber has changed dramatically in the past seven years.

101. Amber thought I was going to stop at 100.

102. Amber inspires other people.

103. Amber makes other people feel guilty. (not intentionally, and not me)

104. Amber is a rebel, but she is reasonable about it most of the time.

105. Amber likes dogs more than cats. (And I still like her anyway.)

106. Amber is a cool mom.

107. Sometimes Amber wishes her husband was not a pastor, but only if that was what he and God wanted.

108. Amber has worked in life-threatening conditions.

109. Amber is an artist.

110. Did I mention that Amber inspires other people?

111. Amber is wondering when I will stop writing these.

112. Amber made cinnamon rolls for a living for a while.

113. At one point Amber intended to have a career involved in the criminal justice system.

114. Amber admires honesty in other people.

115. Amber has some really hair-raising stories about spiritual warfare. As good as most movies.

116. Amber is justifiably proud of her sons.

117. Amber is a baseball fan, I think.

118. Amber once has made more than one trip to help Katrina survivors.

119. Amber has slept in a National Guardsman's brand new sleeping bag. He was not in it.

120. Amber is angered by injustice. I guess you could say that about a lot of people, but I suspect that there's more empathy with Amber because of what she has seen and experienced.

121. "Benny and Joon" and "The Man Who Cried" are among Amber's favorite movies.

122. Did I mention that Amber inspires other people? I'm one of them.

123. Amber once got her coworkers to chip in on a present to surprise another coworker who was dealing with a lot of life issues. The recipient cried. Did I get this right, Amber? It was one of my favorite stories because it was just a cool, loving act for someone who was hurting or feeling alone (I can't remember which. Maybe both.)

124. Amber is tired a lot of the time.

125. Amber can see the end of my comments, and is breathing a sigh of relief.

Gary Means said...

Well Amber, how did I do?

Amber said...

Oh my gosh! Gary! You know me too well. You were right on everything except that I've only actually been to help Katrina survivors once. I did help plan a second trip but didin't get to go due to a family illness. I'm still bummed about that.

Oh and thank you for letting people know that Major T was not in the sleeping bag with me. :) My mother-in-law reads here regularly and that might have been an issue for her. ;)

Yes, I am tired a lot too. Could it be that I don't like to sleep??

I did find one cat that I liked. I liked her a lot in fact and wanted to bring her home with me but Brian wouldn't hear of it. She kind of forced her way into my heart. I kept reminding her that I was a dog person but she wasn't buying.

Thanks for your very gracious words. Now if I could live up to them. :)

annie said...

I liked your list! And the add-ons too!

Coke Blak?? We don't have that down here yet...probably because it might be considered a sin to mix Coke and Coffee? Is it Community Coffee??

Amber said...

Hi Annie

Oh yeah, in LA it really might be considered a sin to mix coke and coffee. Here is a link to a site that tells about the product

http://www.coca-colablak.com/us/index.jsp

How are y'all doing after Rita? Sometimes, a lot of times actually, I miss living in LC.

annie said...

You LIVED in LC?? When was that?!!

Amber said...

Let's see... we lived in LC for about 2 years back in the 80's. It was about 21 years ago because my 21 year old son was born there at Humana hospital. When we were there after Katrina we went past our old house and saw it. Amazingly it looked the same as it did back then.