About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Help!!

What is a good name for an adult Sunday School class?

Most of you know that I teach a class at my church (hate calling it Sunday School). We are trying to come up with a new name and I am entertaining all suggestions. Help me brainstorm.

Here is a description of our class:

Ages: Youngest 18 years old, Oldest 50 something (all ages welcome)
We use voluntary discussion to apply biblical principals to our daily lives. We often use clips of movies, music, news/current events and sometimes jump into discussions of various books. We have a brand new blog where we will be posting about our class here.

Any suggestions for a name would be GREAT!

10 comments:

Perplexio said...

Instead of describing it as a "class" at all why not describe it as a "group"-- maybe something like:

"Adult Bible Study & Discussion Group Meeting"

Using the word "group" gives it a more informal and relaxed sound. Is that what you're going for?

Dionna Sanchez said...

Hmmm - How about "Pilgrim's Progress," "Media-Minded," "Soul-Centered," "Words of Wisdom," "Faith and Facts," or "The Cultured Christian" ?? - Maybe those'll spur some ideas at least. :)

Amber said...

Yeah it is. If I really had any control over things we wouldn't even call it Sunday School. I hate that. And "class" doesn't really describe it either but our church is pretty traditional and the people who attend there are in the habit of calling it Sunday School and Classes, so even if we did try to change it and call it a group, the "class" would still prevail. We even had 12 step recovery groups that met on Thursday nights and people still would ask me about "that class" that you have. So, I've given up. I can live with class and I'll endure Sunday School. But what I can change is the name of the "class" to something that is hopefully less stupid than our current name "Under Construction". I want to crawl under a pew when I hear that name mentioned in the worship service.

Amber said...

Dionna, thanks for the suggestions. I'll put them in the hat and see what everyone wants. :)

Bar Bar A said...

I don't think I need to add my two cents worth but I wish I could attend your class/group!!!! It sounds great.

Anonymous said...

If you all are doing something relating to the media and you are teaching how to strive in a "worldly-world"...you could maybe take the Sunday School name from Philippians 4:8-9 "FInally, borthers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely,whatever is admirable-if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me-put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you." Maybe you could be called "Whatever" This is sort-of a trendy saying anyway...and it goes along with what you are trying to convey your class to remember while living in this world...just an idea:)

Bruce said...

I'm where you are - struggling for a name for our single's class. We dropped the Sunday School label a long time ago, but I'm so tired of saying the Young Single Adult Bible Fellowship.

Good luck.

B~

Gary Means said...

When I helped start a recovery group at our church five years ago, we struggled to come up with a name. The top two candidates were:

The Bartemius Group (the blind beggar healed by Jesus)

The Journey (my suggestion)

Common Ground

We selected The Journey. I haven't attended that church for years. Now it's called The Celebrate Recovery Journey or something like that.

Amber said...

thanks everyone who offered suggestions. My pea brain needs all the help it can get.

Anonymous said...

You might call your class "The Rebels" or the "Non-Cons" for non=conformists.