About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

The Widow's Mite??

I was working on a project yesterday and came across this. It always humbles me to see real sacrificial giving. I know there are people who would find fault with spending the money to fly them here, but those folks miss the point of giving. Check out the whole story when you have time.

BATON ROUGE – Decked out in their finest geometric print robes and elaborate headgear, five chiefs of small villages in the African nation of Cameroon presented to the Senate on Wednesday a hurricane recovery contribution from their villagers.

Sen. Don Hines, D-Bunkie, accepted the $868 donated by 3,000 villagers who live in a land where the average salary is 45 cents a day. Donations ranged from two cents to $5 and a 9-year-old boy donated 25 cents he was saving for school supplies.


You can read the entire article here.


*Edit*
Here is the project I was working on. I was a bit reluctant to upload it or post it because some of the pictures are not mine.

2 comments:

Perplexio said...

Actually it kind of makes me sick... Not that these people are willing to give-- that truly is noble. It's that many of the able-bodied people who are currently in that area COULD get jobs with contractors doing re-construction work. They could start earning that living rather than continuing to live off the contributions of these people who really can't afford to be giving in the first place.

I think the people that accept this money should be ashamed that they're accepting money from people who can't really afford to be giving it to them, when they COULD be out there making far more in any given day than some of the people from Cameroon will see in a lifetime.

Bar Bar A said...

“It’s better to give than to receive” I believe the folks doing the giving in this case received a bigger blessing than those who received it. They did it sacrificially because they wanted to contribute and send a message of support. Even the poorest of the poor can give from what little they have, it makes me want to give more from my “abundance”.