About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Sunday, June 18, 2006

23

Today Brian and I celebrate 23 years of marriage. It seems impossible that I've been married more than half my life, but it is so. Here are some of the reasons I love my husband.

  • He has more integrity than anyone I know
  • He has wisdom
  • He loves me
  • He is a great father
  • He truly lives out that verse where it says to die to self (This can be seen in how he always puts me and our boys first AND in the fact that even though he is very qualified to be a senior pastor, he has been an associate pastor for 19 years - something that is unheard of and few people realize what it takes to do that)
  • He deals graciously with ungracious people
  • He has never given up in ministry even though he has experienced a lot of discouragement
  • He has great legs (a guy at the Y called him "Mr Legs" and freaked him out but he does have great legs)
  • He is very disciplined. When he sets his mind to do something, he does it. Working out 6 days a week for the past several years is an example.
  • He's not too macho to call Taser "daddy's little girl"
  • Once a month he drives several hours to visit a man in prision
  • Although he is compassionate he has firm boundaries

Those are just some of the reasons. For a gift this year Brian and I bought a new swing. When we got married 23 years ago we were broke. Really broke. We agreed not to get each other a wedding gift since we really couldn't afford it. Even our wedding was "home made". My mom made my dress, the bride's maid's dress, the flower girl's dress, and our cake. We had been working on fixing up an old trailer that we were going to live in. One day while I was at the home improvement store I saw a swing that I fell in love with. It was a really great swing. So one day I took Brian there to see it. I was not asking for it because I knew it was out of the question for us to get it, but I wanted him to see this great swing.

Well ... the night before our wedding he presented me with a small package. I opened it and found a small, clothspin replica of the swing. I thought, "well that's kind of cruel" but didn't say anything. Brian had to do some convincing to get me to realize that he had bought the swing - the real swing.

This year we had to destroy the swing and throw it away. After 23 years it was rotted to the point of not being safe. It was hard to get rid of that swing but it had to be done. We bought ourselves a new swing for our anniversary this year.

Last night Brian presented me with another small package. I opened it and found that he had cut off the end of the arm piece of the old swing and placed a picture of our old swing on the end of it. He chose the arm piece because our old dog Bear used to chew that part of the swing and several of his teeth prints were on it. Bear was the dog (my baby) that we had to give away when we were kicked out of a church in Alabama. It nearly killed me to give up my dog and Brian knew that so he wanted to preserve that reminder of him. What a sweet guy. That's another reason I love him.

6 comments:

Brian Buriff said...

Smiles, tears of love, smiles. I love you Amber. If anyone hasn't noticed, Amber has hot legs too - just check out picture number 2 under Amber's "My Dad" post.

Love Brian

Bar Bar A said...

Amber! You have the most wonderful husband in the world and he has the most wonderful wife! WOW, this is true love if I ever saw it. Enjoy sitting in your new swing for the next 23 years!

Amber said...

Barbara, yep, I do have the best husband in the world.

Bruce said...

Congrats! And praying for many more years of happiness.

B~

Gary Means said...

Amber, I am so happy for both of you. After reading what you wrote about him, I'll add Brian to my list of greatly admired people. (The list that you're already on.)

upssidetown said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»