About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Last Post???

Since we leave in a couple of days this will likely be my last post until I get home from Pine Ridge. It never fails to amaze me how completely insane the last few days before a trip can be. Tonight at church was like a comedy of errors. Too much to get into but I'm sure it would make a great movie clip.

I would really appreciate your prayers. Not just for the trip and our mission there, and not just for the crew, but I would appreciate your prayers for me personally. Typically the last week is the week where the crew's expectations begin to clash with reality and that always produces at least one very unhappy crew member. Usually that person is the one who has not attended meetings and is in no way prepared but they rarely see their fault in the matter. Much easier to blame the person in charge - which would be me.

Along with that stress is the stress of getting things in order. Most of our stuff is purchased and packed but there are always last minute items that can't be purchased ahead of time. And there are last minutes details to be worked out. For instance, the lady who is trying to secure a donation of bread told me tonight that a local bakery is going to donate all 300 hot dog buns but that their shipment doesn't get in unitl Friday night. Problem - we load the Ryder truck at 7pm Friday night. I'm not sure what time their shipment gets in, but this could be interesting. Hopefully I will not end up at an all night groc. store trying to find 300 hotdog buns at midnight.

Then Brian and I will drive to another location to pick up another donation of frozen meat at 5am Saturday morning and will then meet up with the crew and be ready to leave at 5:30am. That doesn't leave a lot of time for sleep. The last thing I need is to be tired and grouchy and have to deal with unreasonable people. The vast majority of my crew have been amazingly good natured, flexible, and eager to go above and beyond what I ask, but as I said, there is always one or two people who make things diffiult.

I love these trips. I really do. It's my passion to see the church reach out beyond it's four walls and be Jesus with skin on to the world's needy. And I am willing to continue to do whatever it takes to see that happen. But it is exhausting and stressful work and I will be glad when this trip is over.

4 comments:

David Cho said...

You will be in my prayers.

I admire you and Brian for truly living out Christian lives.

Robert said...

Amber- thank you for modeling what Jesus call is to us all to represent Him..... with SKIN ON!!! It wouldnt be ministry without troubles and tribulations right??? I pray also you have a great trip and God provides you and all who go with you challenges which lead you to grow and lean on Him more and more.

Bruce said...

I'm praying for you Amber, you and your crew and the people of Pine Ridge. Look forward to some great reports.

B~

Bar Bar A said...

I'll miss you! Have a wonderful time. I know you will be blessed and so will all the people whose lives you touch!