About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Wounded Knee

For the past few days I have been a bit preoccupied with thoughts of Wounded Knee. I thought I knew quite a bit about it, but have discovered even more horriffic facts about that terrible day. Please see this post on my other blog. I can't even begin to put into words how I feel about this.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't learn about this until college. Truly sad...

Brian Buriff said...

It is truly an erie feeling standing at that site, knowing what happened.

Amber said...

David, I'm not surprised that you didn't learn about it until college. I think a lot of schools bury this info. We don't like to be reminded of the brutality of our own government. The thing that really gets my dander up now is that the medals of honor have never been rescinded... they still stand. And John McCain adamently refuses to consider rescinding them. The Lakota people have been asking our government for an apology for years but have never received one. Pres. Bush has said he felt "deep regret" over the incident but has never formally apologized. The shame continues.

Anonymous said...

I didn't quite make the connection that the massacred were the ancestors of the very people you visit every year.

Wow.

This is reflective of the deeply polarizing conservative/liberal, us-against-them divide in this country. The conservative side doesn't like to talk about it because it will give ground to the other side. The liberal side would love to capitalize on it for political points.

My friend would say, well how about what the Indians did to us or more importantly savagery on each other? Oh the liberals would never talk about that. And he loves ragging on tribes in South Africa who were much more brutal towards each other than the white minority ever was.

Well, I guess we will never apologize until we get to be as bad as Hitler and kill 6 million Jews. But then, Hitler didn't kill 30 million as Stalin did, so why do we rag on him?

How about right and wrong? What a concept.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that I read your post last night and looked at all the photos. I commented but lost my wireless connection so it didn't go through.

As a young girl I remember that my dad read a book on Wounded Knee and was deeply impacted by it. There were photos in the book similar to the ones you shared. It's hard to comprehend. It makes me feel ill.

I will sign the petition. We owe a huge apoplgy!

Bruce said...

I read "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee" at a early age, along with "Treblinka" about the Holocaust, and "The Wolf and the Buffalo" about the Buffalo Soldiers and Native Americans. It never ceases to amaze me at man's inhumanity to his fellow man. There are a lot of things we have forgotten but shouldn't.

Thanks for the post Amber.

B~