About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Monday, November 06, 2006

A Day in the Life of Amber

Sunday was a particularly busy day. I woke up to the annoying sound of the alarm just as I was reallllly sleeping good and wondered if there could possibly be anything more annoying.

After 2 cups of coffee I got dressed for the day. That simple chore proved more complicated that it should be and left me especially grateful for a church that generally accepts me any way that I happen to be at any given moment. The reason for the dilemma was that I had to go to work and wasn't sure I would have time to return home to change before work. Given the nature of what I do and the fact that I often deal with body fluids, I don't like to wear anything "nice" to work. Some would argue that I don't wear anything "nice" to church either, but little do they know that I can and do dress even worse than I do at church.

So it was off to teach Sunday School. But wait, first there was that minor issue of a fundraiser for the Pine Ridge trip that needed tending to. That should have been fairly simple too but alas, that would be too easy and we can't have anything easy, can we.

I arrived at church to set my bakery items out on the table in the room that has been dubbed the fundraising room only to find out that our choir was having a bake sale that day. Opps.... well that shouldn't be a problem ...right?? I mean, we have enough people in our church who like to eat to easily take care of both fundraisers. And, it's my humble opinion that there is also enough money in our church to support it all too. My philosophy has been, "if it's God's will, it's God's bill" and I just assume He'll provide what is needed. Unfortunately, not everyone has the same opinion as me. Some even get a bit touchy about other groups invading their "spot". We finally suggested that we arrange the tables so that everyone had adequate room while providing space for people to browse. It worked out.

THEN, it was off to teach Sunday School. Strangely enough we are still covering the "boundaries" material. How appropriate.

After church it was back to the fundraiser. What a crazy, chaotic time. But I think a few people on our team did well and I know some of them really need this fundraiser. There is a big payment due Jan. 1st and some of them might not have it if we didn't do this fundraiser. I've actually been thinking about if there is any way to do this trip cheaper. There is. In fact, we could do it way cheaper ... if we didn't feed the Lakota kids or give them backpacks full of school supplies. I'm not willing to do that. Not when I'm convinced that there is enough money to provide these basic needs for them.

After church we went to Chili's to celebrate my dad's birthday! He'll be 72, on Wednesday but will be out of town so we pretended his birthday was yesterday - even if he's holding out till later to turn 72. It was fun and the food was a good deal - Barb-b-que ribs, fries, salad, and a luscious desert for $9.99. Half-way through our meal another couple from church came in and were seated at the table next to us. I had to rush off to work before desert so I asked the waiter to give them mine.

Once at work the craziness continued. Ms Cranky was her usual demanding self and the new girl, who I am dubbing the Drama Queen, was in full gear. She is 21 years old, smokes cigars and loves to stir up drama of any sort. This little fact became more and more apparent as the day went on. First she wanted to watch a stripper video. Since it's their house I have no say so as to what they do, don't do, watch, or don't watch in their own home but I did tell her that I would not watch that "trash" with her and then I went outside to call a friend.

Later in the day Miss Drama Queen discovered that her boyfriend was cheating on her. Needless to say she was not happy about that at all and proceeded to call everyone in her cell phone address book to tell them about it. She then focused on 2 different men ... and kept calling them, feeding them all sorts of elaborate lies which she made up on the spot. She eventually talked one of the men, a 40-something year old, to come over to the house. What fun. He did so but was quickly caught up in her drama and let us all listen to his voice mails of the other man making threats to do him in. I suggested that the police might be interested in hearing that voice mail but that idea didn't seem to register with him.

The whole time I am at work it's a balancing act. Just how much do I suggest? How far do I assert my will, or my ideas?? These folks are mentally handicapped but they do have rights, and one of them is the right to make their own choices. I have always let them do just that. I make suggestions and hope I have some influence but ultimately the decision is their's to make. It does make me wonder though, how many people who work in this field control the lives of those they care for?

2 comments:

BarBarA said...

WOW!

I was with ya right up till you got to work and then I freaked - how do you do such a difficult and demanding job!?! I admire you.

I dated a guy once that had the most interesting business, it was called "No Ordinary Moments" and they provided help to the people no one else wanted to deal with that has issues - mostly sexual offenders that were let out of prison, and schizophrenics.

Happy B-day to your dad!!!

Amber said...

I actually really like my job ... most days anyway. It fits me well since I enjoy serving the folks others would generally be uncomfortable around. And I don't have a boss breathing down my neck. I rarely ever even see any of my bosses. Ms Cranky may be cranky and have a bad reputation but she considers her staff "family" and is good to us once we win her trust. She can be a pill until then though. I also get to wear whatever I want ... can even wear pjs if I choose. It is boring at times but at other times it's anything but. When I fist started working there Ms Cranky's roommate (Bonnie) was schizophrenic. She was a challenge but also a lot of fun.