About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Facing Fears (Continued)

For me the key to facing fears is to believe that through God, everything will be OK. That's not the same as believing that God will always protect me from bad things happening, but that He will be faithful to provide whatever it is that I would need to get through it.

Staying With Strangers

One evening we rode to a small Romanian village so our guide could show us another street children's project they were working on. The trip apparently took much longer than our guide had assumed it would because we found ourselves in a not-so-good-looking part of town. It was late at night so it was difficult to tell but we all thought we were probably in the ghetto of some Romanian town.

Our guide stopped at a local church where they served us a snack of raw bacon and cheeses. Then it was discussed where we should stay for the night. All of us felt MUCH safer sticking together and asked if we could all just sleep at the church. That was not going to happen - remember I was the only female along and they made it abundantly clear that it would not be appropriate for me to stay with the men - even when I promised not to attack them. Very quickly I came to realize that I was going to be separated from my group and the possibilities that brought to mind stuck fear in my heart. I really felt much safer with the guys from my church that I knew well than to be put up with strangers apart from my team - especially given that it looked like a bad part of town. I wondered what I would be getting into and what danger I might face that evening.

The guys felt it too and they argued for me to be able to stay with them. But all of our efforst to convince them fell on deaf ears. They were not going to let me stay with the men.

That understood, I realized I had no choice but to put myself in God's hands and trust that He would either protect me, or give me the strength to deal with whatever might happen. I actually felt at peace and was the first to stand up and agree with our guide and say, "let's go".

And of course, I ended up with a wonderfully sweet family that evening. The man had been a pastor in the underground church. They were poor. Really poor. But they fed me a snack (probably their only food) and talked for hours in their broken English about what it was like to live under Communism and suffer persecution.

I went to sleep that night in perfect awe of my host family and with the assurance that God could indeed be trusted. I slept like a baby.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful!

What was the team supposed to do while there? Were there specific tasks?

Your experience with the family you stayed with brings up something that bugged the heck out of me.

My former church too sent out teams right after the fall of Communism in the early 90's.

My friends went on these teams to Eastern European countries. The task? Running a seminar on how to raise godly children. During the week they were there (these guys weren't pastors, but laymen), they took up the whole week running a seminar.

I am not a very humble guy. But if I were there, I would seek out those who survived years of persecution, and hear what they had to say WITH MY MOUTH SHUT. I have nothing to teach them. I have no wisdom to offer having lived a very comfortable life here in the easiest country to be a Christian in the world, and possibly in history. But these people have real stories of God's faithfulness.

I am so glad you had an opportunity to spend time with the family and hear their stories. Obviously you weren't there to teach a seminar. Sorry for my ranting, but sometimes we can be very arrogant people.

Amber said...

Rant on David. That kind of stuff is arrogant and worth ranting about. =) We were there to do construction work, namely, refurbishing a building that was going to be used to house some of the street children.

BarBarA said...

Amber, I am so thankful that you are sharing your story here. I have so many of the same fears! I've admired you for taking these steps, but now I can see the details!! :)