About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Friday, December 15, 2006

Fears (Continued)

One thing about mission trips that makes facing fears easier is that when you are on a mission trip, you are naturally separated from all of the things that are familiar and comfortable - those things that we often cling to in times of fear.

When we are removed from those things we rely on, you realize that you are completely at God's mercy. You have no other choice but to put yourself in God's hands and trust Him. It's freeing. And comforting.


In each situation where I found myself facing something that would normally scare me, I felt nothing but peace. Of course at first I felt fear but I soon discovered the peace that comes from putting yourself in the hands of the God who loves me. It was wonderful to be able to "let go and let God". At home, that's not as easy, but when you are away from the comforts of home, it becomes much easier and your faith grows as a result.

The Ride
While in Romania our team was divided up and placed with host families. I was alone with my host family since I was the only woman on the trip. Each morning our ride would come around and pick us up to take us to the work site. Normally we had the same red VW van with the same driver we had come to know.

One morning however, the lady I was staying with told me my ride was there. I walked down the apartment steps and saw a different white van and a man I had not seen before. I asked my host if she was sure this was my ride. She was. I was a bit uneasy but what could I do? I got in. The driver spoke no English and I spoke no Romanian so communication was not happening. We drove through Timisora and I began to feel even more uneasy because nothing looked familiar to me. We had not taken that route before and I wasn't convinced that I was with the person I was supposed to be with. I thought, "This is great. I'm in a foreign country, I don't speak the language, I'm with a man I've never seen before, going God knows where. This can't be good".

Finally we stopped and the driver got out and went up to another apartment. Soon a lady I had not seen before came down and got in the van. I was a little relieved until I realized that she was French and spoke neither English or Romanian. So there we were, three people in the van and none of us could communicate. Wonderful. By this time I was sure I was in the wrong place with the wrong people and that I would never again see my team or my home and family. What to do? What can you do in a situation like that except to trust that God will work it out. Somehow, regardless of where we ended up or what happened, He would get me to someone who could help me. I rested in that confidence and felt much more at peace. Soon we stopped at yet another apartment and I was relieved to see two of the guys from my team come downstairs and get in the van. They however, we a bit disappointed. Apparently the drive had gone upstairs to their apartment and said, "I have two women, one American, one French". They looked at each other and said "YES!" and headed for the van - only to be disappointed that it was me.


These two incidents were strangley easy to trust God in, maybe because I didn't see them coming - they both just "happened" before I had a chance to realize what I was in to. Other situations were more of a challenge .....

(to be continued)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait, I don't get it. Why were they disappointed that it was you when they came down?

Amber said...

They were two 20-something single guys who were expecting, or hoping for, 2 young single, attractive, and probably very sensual girls. What they found was a 30-something pastor's wife. ;)

Anonymous said...

But didn't you all have something scheduled for the day, and the guys were up for some kind of hook up while on a mission trip?

Who was the French woman?

Amber said...

Yeah, we were working on a building to house street kids. The driver was supposed to take us to the work site each day .... and he eventually did but for some unknown reason we took the long way around that day. I never saw that driver, that van, or the French lady again and have no idea who she was or what she was doing. It was one of many strange experiences.

And the guys were ALWAYS looking for a hook up whether they were on a mission trip or not. Eventually they both got married and are both pastors now.

Anonymous said...

That's so strange about the driver and the French lady.

Well, I guess I need to look for a hook up more. Hehehe. Looking forward to the next installment.

BarBarA said...

Amber, had to wait till I had time to come back and read this - wow! I would have been nervous in that van too. But what you say here is so true:

"Of course at first I felt fear but I soon discovered the peace that comes from putting yourself in the hands of the God who loves me. It was wonderful to be able to "let go and let God". At home, that's not as easy, but when you are away from the comforts of home, it becomes much easier and your faith grows as a result."

The one time I went on a missions trip overseas it was to a very "easy " place - London. Nothing scary about London right? Everyone speaks English, its safe, bla bla bla. But our "mission" was very intimidating and I did experience that faith and peace you can only get when you are basically forced to trust God :)


Note to Mr. Cho - LOL, you are too funny. I think you should ask out the lady that works at that restaurant that you've mentioned...the one you gave the handful of coins to...I can tell you liked her :)