About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Thursday, December 28, 2006

People Pleasing (Continuing the Series)

The next topic in the "What I'm Learning" series is one that I have had to face head-on in ways I would have preferred not to - People Pleasing.

I'm not talking about taking the cavalier attitude of "I don't care what people think". People who take that approach are generally jerks. Frankly, I think anyone who claims that is either lying, in some serious denial, or in need of an attitude adjustment.

We all care what people think of us, and I believe we should care, afterall, it doesn't do the cause of Christ, ourselves or anyone else any good to "not care". The trick seems to be in not allowing the opinions of others to influence us away from the thing we believe we are supposed to be doing. AND to not allow the opinions of others to destroy us.

Being forced as it were, into a position of leadership, certainly brought this lesson home to me and it is still something I grapple with on a regular basis.

I will be sharing about this in an upcoming post... or two, or three.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Goodness, this is so true. I think sometimes I worry TOO much about what others think or feel and I forget about myself.

I do worry about what others think of me. I just have to find the right balance when it comes to not letting them influence me. In many ways, I think I do okay in that sense. However, I know, many times I worry so much, that I'll back down. I know I shouldn't, but I just do because I don't want conflict.

This is a great post, Amber!

Oh, and thank you, I've now added you to my blogroll. Your blog is cool!

[rhymes_with_keroauc] said...

This is off-topic, and you may want to delete this, but I was wondering if you'd seen the article re: Pine Ridge in today's New York Times. It's in the US section.

I was going to email it to you, as the NYT requires registration, but couldn't find an email address for either you or Brian anywhere.

Amber said...

RWK -

No, I've not seen it but I'll go look for it now. I don't post my email address because I don't want a ton of spam but you know my full name so just put @aol.com behind it and you've got it. =)

Amber said...

I found the article ( I think it's the one you were referring to ) and I posted the link to it on the Pine Ridge blog.

Thanks. Such a sad story. =\

BarBarA said...

I'm looking forward to reading more, you're off to a great start in the way you defined it.