About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Monday, January 29, 2007

Right Where You Are

A while back a young man in our church preached a message that I can only vaguly remember. Josh, if you're reading this, don't take it personally - I rarely remember anyone's message. What I do remember about his message is the idea of being "Jesus" to those around you - of ministering right where you are. In his message he asked how many of us knew our Wal-Mart greeter's name. His point was that even in a setting such as walking into a large retail store we still have an opportunity to represent Jesus.

Now I am shy my nautre and rarely ever go out of my way to initiate a conversation with anyone much less a stranger. At the time Josh preached this I was thinking, 'Oh that's a great idea but I'm too shy to do something like that'. And I am. Unfortunately.

But it so happens that I have a Wal-Mart greeter who is extra special. I've blogged about him before because he is sometimes the only person in my day who acts happy to see me - other than Taser who is always overjoyed to see me. This older gentelman is not your typical Wal-Mart greeter. He isn't just polite. He is truly friendly and seems to genuinely like people. Since I go to Wal-Mart nearly every day, he has come to know me and he enjoys picking on me about how often I am there.

I've been concerned lately becuase for the past month or so my Wal-Mart greeter has been missing. I worry about some of these older guys because well, things happen. I had hoped that he would show up again and that all would be well.

Today I went to Wal-Mart and was disappointed to see that he is still not there. On the way out I asked another Wal-Mart greeter about him. To my relief, he is just fine and is soaking up the sun in Florida and will be back in a couple of weeks.

He did mention however that another greeter, an older man who is in a wheelchair, had been in the hospital for 6 weeks due to a fall in which he broke his neck. I was stunned. I said that I would pray for him and as I walked out I began wondering about what to do for this man. I will pray for him of course, in fact I already have, but there must be someting else ....some way of building a relationship with someone most of us take for granted .....something tangible that will touch this man and let him know that he matters - even to strangers.

8 comments:

BarBarA said...

Oh, Amber, this was a good post even though it totally made me feel bad for sometimes being annoyed by my Walmart greeters and employees.

I like to run in and out of that store on my lunch break and on various occasions I've been stopped by an employee to chat (once one guy followed me around the store the whole time telling me I reminded him of his mother).

I hope you think of something to do for the gentleman who broke his neck...having a visit from you would probably light up his life big time!

Bruce said...

There are alsways people around us we tend to ignore, for whatever reason. My wife goes out of her way to talk to, and be nice to, the employees of Walwart and other retail establishments, because she sees the way they are treated by most people. "If you do it to the least of these..."

B~

Brian Buriff said...

Now that's my dream...to someday to be a Wal-Mart greeter and take a few weeks here and there in the winter to soak up some sun in Florida. Oh Yes, and to have a pretty young woman missing me and asking about my wearabouts.

Amber said...

Ummm .... darling.... did you forget this is your wife's blog. Since I'm your age and neither of us are young, I'm assuming that I would not be the pretty young woman missing you. And I'm assuming that I would be with you soaking up the sun in Fla. so I'm not quite sure what you're talking about ... dear. Care to explain???

David Cho said...

Go Brian, Go! I am behind you all the way.

Amber said...

DAVID!!! You better behave or I'll start posting Taser pics

David Cho said...

Oh.

Go Amber! I am behind you all the way.

Bruce said...

Wow, this could get nasty. I'm looking forward to more.

B~