About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Sacrifice??


I'm told that Christians these days do not want to sacrifice. At first, I doubted it. Surely there must be some out there who are willing to sacrifice for the sake of God ... for the sake of others.... isn't there?


Next month we will be kicking off Two Weeks of Sacrifice, a two-week period where we will voluntarily give up all beverages except water and then give the money saved to Blood Water Mission to build wells in Africa.


Now I am a HUGE coffee addict. I LOVE my coffee, not just in the morning but all day long. I can even drink 3 cups before bedtime and not feel the effects. I am NOT looking forward to giving up my beloved coffee. But I never for a minute thought of not doing it. It's two weeks right? I can do anything for two weeks. Will it be fun. Not at all. But neither will it kill me.


Since I've mentioned this to various PR team members I have heard a lot of whining. Some have said that they will drink what they want anyway and just give the money. And that's fine. The point is to raise money for wells in Africa and I doubt if they care if we give up whatever our preferred drink is to do it.

But I can't help but feel that if we go that route we will be missing a blessing.
I'm not sure why I feel that way. My human nature tells me that's a ridiculous notion. But for some reason I believe that there is something to be gained personally by making the sacrifice. That in some way I will grow spiritually by willingly giving up something for the sake of others. Even if it's only for two weeks.
So, I guess the idea that Christians these days don't want to sacrifice isn't entirely wrong. Some of us don't want to do it at all. I think that maybe our Catholic brothers and sisters may have a bit of a better handle of sacrifice but I'm not sure since I'm not Catholic. Lent is a season of sacrifice and it goes for six weeks. Two weeks of it seems wimpy by comparison. And then there's the really radical idea of a life of sacrifice. I can't say I know anyone who lives a lifestyle of sacrifice.
So, I'm wondering, what do you think about sacrifice? What are the benefits? Why would anyone choose it?

4 comments:

Bruce said...

I think it's NORTH AMERICAN Christians who aren't willing to sacrifice. Well, WASPs to be exact. We don't have to sacrifice for anything much less our faith. The rest of the world is use to sacrifice. I know what you mean about the coffee...got to have my java.

B~

Amber said...

Hey bruce - I think you're probably right. It's one of the reasons I get so frustrated with middle-class American christianity. But then, I have to look at myself and realize that I'm not so different. I like nice things too - just look at my new study for proof of that.

Amber said...

Bruce - btw, I can't read your blog. =( The print shows up really really really tiny. It's that way on Brian's computer too. Not sure why or if there's something I can fix to be able to read it.

Bruce said...

I don't know what is going on with my blog, but I made some changes...see if it works any better.

B~