About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Thursday, February 22, 2007

I Don't Know If I Can Do This: Thoughts About 2 Weeks of Sacrifice


I'm gearing up for the Two Weeks of Sacrifice for Blood:Water Mission. This Sunday we begin a two-week long fast from all beverages except water in order to save money to donate to build wells in Africa.


I have some really mixed feelings about this. In fact, I'm not sure I can do it - give up coffee for two weeks.


And that disturbs me.


Because there is a really big part of me that thinks it's really sad that someone like me, a middle-class American who has everything I need at my fingertips has trouble giving up coffee for two stupid weeks. And this in light of the fact that millions of people in the world do not have the basic need of clean water met - to the point where they die by the thousands every day.
Why is it so hard, so unthinkable, for me to give up some pleasure for just two weeks? Am I really that spoiled? I'm afraid so.


I will be posting about my experience over the next couple of weeks. Just look for the "gimme coffee" pic for those posts. We start Sunday. Until then, I'm drinking coffee by the gallon. Hmmmm... I wonder if the people in Africa would gulp down water by the gallon if they had clean water for only one day? I wonder what it would be like to have clean water for only one day?

6 comments:

BarBarA said...

Well, at least you are attempting it. I am not even going to try to give up coffee...I feel kind of selfish but I know I am addicted to caffeine and that withdraw means huge headaches and I just can't go there right now. I am going to not beat myself up over it....I am giving something up for Lent in the tradition of my Catholic upbringing.

Amber said...

I hear ya. I'm a huge caffine addict too. I drink coffee contually all day long. I've never counted but I'd guess I drink no less than a dozen cups of it a day. Maybe more.

I may be crazy to attempt this but I feel like I have to. It's one thing to say I care about the poorest of the poor and another thing to put my money where my mouth is (so to speak). NOT looking forward to the headaches or the crabbiness though.

I am also convinced that there is some kind of blessing for me if I do this. I'm not sure what the blessing will be but I'm sure there is one. Not a material blessing but a spiritual one. I've tried to think of ways to do this and still have my coffee, and some may choose to do it that way (that's none of my business) but I think I'd miss something good if I did that. I wonder what I'm going to learn from this.

Lent is not something I know much about. If you'd like to share what you're doing and why I'd love to hear about it. Our church isn't into Lent although a friend of mine spoke at church about it last night.

David Cho said...

What ya know, Amber?

Your favorite Indian reservation is making headlines.

Amber said...

I saw that David. I can't beleive the mudslinging is starting already. =p

Brian Buriff said...

Dear God, I don't know if I can do this either. Just two more days to sip and slurp before the drought.

Logan said...

hey, your boy bono was on c-span today...dont ask me why i was watching it...