About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

The Saints Are Coming

I just came across this article about the role of the church. It is written by Rogier Bos, a church planter in Europe and is well worth a read. I will post a bit of it here but check the entire articile when you get a chance.

More than anything else the question I have been thinking about the last few months is this: "why does the church exist?"

Does it exist to meet on Sunday morning? Does it exist to care for each other? Well, yeah, certainly those are good things. Does it exist to teach its members how to better follow Jesus? Certainly that is part of it. Is it a holding-tank for followers of Jesus waiting for his return? Well, even that is not such a bad answer.

But I don't think those answers really answer the question at its core. Here is my answer: I think the church exists to carry on the mission of Jesus. We exist to do what he was doing. What Jesus did for Israel, we are called to do for the world.
Which begs the question: what is the mission of Jesus? That question can perhaps be answered in lots of different ways as well . Yet I think Jesus' answer in Luke 4 is probably the best:


"The Spirit of the Lord is on me,
because he has anointed me
to preach good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners
and recovery of sight for the blind,
to release the oppressed,
to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor."


Let me cut to the chase. I think the church exists for the good of the world. If Jesus came to heal the sick, preach good news to the poor, proclaim justice, and give sight for the blind -- we should be doing the same.

1 comment:

BarBarA said...

this is good....going to finish the rest of it now....thanks for sharing. I love it when people find good stuff and pass it on!