A friend from church and a Pine Ridge team member who is also participating in the Two Weeks of Sacrifice, gave me a couple of things to get me through the two weeks - or torture me, I'm not sure which. He made a CD of coffee songs and he gave me a copy of CiN Weekly Magazine. This week's edition featured all of the coffee houses in the greater Cincinnati area.
Here are some interesting facts you might or might not know about coffee:
- Brazil is the largest producer of coffee in the world
- All coffee is mountian-grown and thrives in volcanic soil.
- Coffee is the second most traded commodity in the world, second only to oil.
- Hawaii is the only U.S. state where coffee is grown.
- Coffee beans aren't actually beans; they're seeds. Every coffee fruit contains two seeds.
- Dunkin' Donuts boasts the country's largest coffee sales by the cup, selling some 2.7 million gallons of coffee per person every year.
- The ancient land of Abyssinia, now Ethiopia, is thought to be the birthplace of coffee.
- The Fair-Trade movement was launched in the Netherlands in 1988.
The magazine also featured a Fair Trade only coffee house in Cincinnati - The Rohs Stree Cafe'