About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Machines Frustrate Me

Don't get me wrong, I would have a hard time living without machines but geez, they can really mess up a day. Yesterday was one of those machine-frustration days for me.

First episode:
I had ordered the dress for my son's wedding and FedEx was supposed to deliver it. I've been tracking it and saw that it was "delivered". They also sent me an email saying it had been delivered. Problem is, it was not. We are in the process of trying to get FedEx to find it. Note to self - NEVER use FedEx again. The phone call I made yesterday went something like this:

Hello, thank you for using FedEx. Please say the command you wish to
use, "Track Package", "etc, etc, etc"

"I would like to talk to someone please."

"I'm sorry, I don't understand your command. Please try again."

"I want a human on the phone please."

"I'm sorry, I don't understand your command. Please try again."

"Of course you don't understand my command. You are a machine and you
are not programed for the call I want to place."

"I'm sorry, I don't understand your command. Please try again."

"I want a HUMAN."

"I'm sorry, I don't understand your command. You will be connected
to a sales representative soon."

"Thank you."

"May I help you?"

"Yes, I have been sent an email stating that a package was delivered on
Saturday and the package is not here".

"I'm sorry. That branch of FedEx is closed on Monday. If you do not
have your package by tomorrow, call back."


ARRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Second episode:
I ran to the store to pick some things up while Brian grabbed a nap before we went out for the evening. When I came home I hit the garage door opener like I always do. This time however, it got stuck about 3 inches off the ground. I tried several other times to open the door with no success. Frustrated, I went to the front door to ring the doorbell in hopes of waking Brian up. (I don't have a key to the door.) After ringing the bell several times it occurs to me that he has his STUPID ear plugs in. Frustrated even more, I went to get my cell phone. I called knowing that he would not pick up (ear plugs and all you know). So I left a message,
"When you decide to wake up from your nap, I'm outside."


On top of that, our answering machine went out and is making some sort of screeching sound.

Don't even get me started on how much I hate office machines.

4 comments:

Brian Buriff said...

I'd like everyone know that the garage door is fixed, I'll shop for a new answering machine tomorrow and about those ear plugs...they are there to stay. Love you honey!

Bruce said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bruce said...

I'm thankful you got in all safe and sound. Technology is both a blessing and curse. Of course I write that on my computer that is tied to the internet, which in turn is connected to great people like you and Brian and Bar and, well so many other cool anti-technology people (older people). Hope your day is better. If not, send out for help with your smoke signals.

B~

Brian, where can I pick up some of those ear plugs...my wife could use some because someone in our house snores.

PS - I deleted my last comment because I spelled Brian like Brain, and he has enough issues without that.

Amber said...

Bruce, I love it. I type Brian's name Brain all the time. He thinks it's a Freudian slip but I think my fingers can't keep up with my thinking when I type.