About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Monday, March 19, 2007

Shoes and Chocoate - A Girl's Dream Shopping Day


Unfortunately, I did not go shopping today. But I can't imagine too many things as much fun as shopping for shoes and eating chocolate and I happened to find a couple of ways to enjoy both and "do the right thing" by helping those who live in poverty.


I found this baby - Green & Blacks Maya Gold chocolate bar at Target! It's the only *Fair Trade chocolate I've been able to find without having to order it off the 'Net. I could do that but when I want chocolate, I want it NOW. I don't want to wait for it to arrive via the mail. Now I can run 3 min. from my house to Target and get fair trade chocolate.


And I happened across this cool web site TOMS Shoes. For each pair of shoes purchased from their company, they give a pair of their shoes to a child in Argentina. What a cool idea! They don't look so bad either, in fact, they were recently featured in Vogue magazine!
* Why Fair Trade?
While chocolate is sweet for us, it can be heartbreaking for the hundreds of thousands of child laborers that pick the cocoa that goes into some of our favorite treats. In 2001, the U.S. State Department, the International Labor Organization and others reported child slavery on many cocoa farms in the Ivory Coast, source of 43% of the worlds cocoa. Subsequent research by the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture revealed some 284,000 children between the ages of 9 and 12 working in hazardous conditions on West African cocoa farms. Of these children, it was reported that some 12,000 child cocoa workers that had participated in the study were likely to have arrived in their situation as a result of child trafficking.
Fair Trade guarantees producers the income they need to send their children to school and pay their workers fair wages, and provides consumers with a trusted guarantee that no forced or abusive child labor was used in the making of their products. (source - The global exchange)

No comments: