About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Don't Become A Monster In Order To Defeat A Monster

I am having a struggle with not hating haters. Be they the Nazi party who are marching in Cincinnati or be they legalists in the church who want to condemn other believers who do not agree with the way they interpret scripture. People with a cause whether they claim Christ or not are some of the most mean-
spirited, most hateful people in the world. It is all too easy for my righteous indignation to turn into something very ugly and unholy. In short, I can quickly turn into a monster as I try to defeat a monster.

I have recently purchased and have begun readfing The Essential Writings and Speeches of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. I marvel at this man's ability and determination to love his enemies in spite of the hate he experienced.

Here is a story about MLK that illustrates his determination to love as Jesus loved.


He told me a story about Bobby Kennedy, which changed my life indeed. Harry Belafonte remembered a meeting with MLK when the civil rights movement had hit a wall in the early 60's.

'I tell you it was a depressing moment when Bobby Kennedy was made attorney general. It was a very bad day for the civil rights movement.' And I said: 'Why was that?' He said" 'Oh, you see you forget. Bobby Kennedy was Irish. Those Irish were real racists; they didn't like the black man. They were all the police, they were the people who broke our balls on a daily basis. Bobby at that time was famously not interested in the civil rights movement. We knew we were in deep trouble.

We were crestfallen, in despair, talking to Martin, moaning and groaning about the turn of events, when Dr. King slammed his hand down and ordered us to stop the bitchin': 'Enough of this,' he said. Is there nobody here who's got something good to say about Bobby Kennedy?' We said, 'Martin, that's what we're telling you There is no one. There is nothing good to say about him.' To which Martin replied: 'Well then,let's call this meeting to a close. We will re adjourn when somebody has found one thing redeeming to say about Bobby Kennedy, because that, my friends, is the door through which our movement will pass.' So he stopped the meeting and made then all go home. He wouldn't hear any more negativity about Bobby Kennedy.

Well it turned out that Bobby was very close to his bishop. So they befriended the one man who could get through to Bobby's soul and turned into their Trojan horse. Harry became emotional at the end of this tale, saying, 'When Bobby Kennedy lat dead on a Los Angeles pavement, there was no greater friend to the civil rights movement. There was no one we owed more of our progress to than that man.'

Whether he was exaggerating or not, that was a great lesson for me because what Dr. King was saying was: Don't respond in caricature - the Left, the Right, the Reactionary. Don't take people on rumor, Find the light in them because that will further your cause.

- Bono, from the book Bono In Conversation With Michka Assayas

1 comment:

Gary Means said...

What a powerful post. I was just commenting on my blog that I have a difficult time releasing resentment toward churches who have hurt me or hurt people that I care about. And my feelings of resentment can grow fairly intense. It's a struggle, but I try to look for the good in others. But so often I do it begrudgingly or with sarcasm. Or, then I immediately launch into another story of how evil or wrong or cruel or rigid they are.