About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Friday, April 06, 2007

My Dream

I've had this dream for a while, and it has partially came true. When we first started going to Pine Ridge I really felt strongly that we needed to provide a backpack filled with school supplies to each child in the village we visit. This will be our 4th year in doing that and it is always one of the highlights of the trip. Last year one of the little boys squealed "Cool, there's the backpack truck" when he saw the Ryder truck parked in front of the church.

That is all well and good and we will continue to do that, BUT, I really would like to expand the project. I would love to take backpacks to Wounded Knee and to the main village on the Reservation, Pine Ridge. (all are on the rez) The problem with that is - money. It costs about $15 per child for a backpack filled with school supplies. We usually buy 150 for the village of Allen where we go each year. That's $2,250.00 each year. To expand this outreach it would take 3 - 4 times that amount.

So I've been wrestling... trying to figure out HOW to make this happen. I've even considered contacting Oprah. She apparently knows how to move people. I've checked into getting corporate sponsors. They all seem to have their pet programs already in place. So, I'm not sure where to go or what to do. But I can do one thing. I can put it out there on the Internet for anyone who feels inclined to help provide children on the rez much needed school supplies. I've made a new site that explains it a bit and I'll just see where this goes. I would humbly ask my readers to consider putting a link to that page on your site. You can email me at amberburiff@aol.com and I'll send you the image code that you can paste into your sidebar. Really, just anything you can do to help me get the word out. Maybe corproations will not help but I believe there are good people who would like to help the needy kids on the rez get an education.

Here is what it would look like. Click on it and go to the site. Thanks SO much for your consideration.

6 comments:

Brian Buriff said...

Taser, is in that awkward adolescent stage - growing from puppy to adult. She wants me to update her picture on my blog. Until I can find a suitable picture, I'm substituting the PINERIDGE BACKPACK image and link. What a great project it has been. It would be cool if it could overflow to other parts of the reservation. Maybe Taser could be the "spokes-dog" for it? Just a thought.

Professor Howdy said...

.

If I could speak in any
language in heaven or
on earth but didn't love
others, I would only be
making meaningless noise
like a loud gong or a
clanging cymbal. If I
had the gift of prophecy,
and if I knew all the
mysteries of the future
and knew everything
about everything, but
didn't love others, what
good would I be? And
if I had the gift of faith
so that I could speak
to a mountain and make
it move, without love
I would be no good to
anybody. If I gave
everything I have to
the poor and even
sacrificed my body,
I could boast about it;
but if I didn't love others,
I would be of no value
whatsoever. Love is
patient and kind. Love
is not jealous or boastful
or proud or rude. Love
does not demand its
own way. Love is not
irritable, and it keeps
no record of when it
has been wronged.
It is never glad about
injustice but rejoices
whenever the truth
wins out. Love never
gives up, never loses
faith, is always hopeful,
and endures through
every circumstance.

May You Always
Experience This
Kind Of Love,
Dr. Howdy

Amber said...

So true Prfessor Howdy. Love God, Love Others, Nothing else matters.

Layla (aka Barbara) said...

I will be honored to add this link to my site. I am just blown away by the statistics you shared today!

I think you should call Oprah and remind her of why she chose to build that school in Africa rather than here. Her concern was that the kids here did not appreciate the school supplies, etc. so apparently she is unaware of what's going on with Native Americans.

Tell her!!! You can Brian can go on her show!

David Cho said...

Amber, I'm in!

mtnfund said...

Well, I can't claim to know anything about the gift of prophecy or anything of the kind. I do have a bunch of good used packs you can have though.