About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Adjusting Back To Normal - Whatever That Is

With all the upheaval in our lives over, at least for the moment, I am adjusting back to normal. At least a new normal.

My thumb is healing nicely and is not even sore unless I bump it on something or someone grabs it not knowing that it's tender. I still have the gauze that was stitched to it in place ... not sure when that will come off but I assume it will come off on it's own one of these days. Now it's just a matter of waiting the 4-6 months for the new nail to grow back.

My dad is now doing well and Sunday will be able to resume his usual activities. He has good news on both the cancer and the heart condition. Hopefully the new meds will help him with his energy level and reverse the thickening of his heart muscle. I told him we knew he was thick headed we just didn't know he had a thick heart to go with it. His main concern was when he could mow the lawn. The doc told him "Sunday" to which my dad asked "well when can I walk behind a lawn mower". Again the doc answered, "Sunday". I told you he was thick headed.

I'm still adjusting to not having Cody around. It's a bit weird reminding myself each night that "we're all in" when we are missing one. I went by their apartment yesterday to water Allison's plants (she doesn't know what she's asking leaving her plants in my care). I also washed the dishes that were in the sink and cleaned out the coffee pot so they wouldn't have that to deal with that when they get home. As I was leaving I thought, "OK, I"m out of here, my work is done" and it occurred to me that my work in raising Cody really is done. In truth, it's been done for a while now but there was something sad and final about his moving out. Now I need to clean the room he left behind but I'm not sure I'm ready to go there yet. The thing I will miss the most is having Cody come home and then sitting up and talking to him for a while. We used to do that fairly often. Sometimes we had arguments and sometimes we had good conversations that challenged both of us and then sometimes we just chatted. It's sad to know that those times really are over.

And today I go back to work after being gone for nearly 3 weeks. I was off for a while because of my thumb (couldn't lift Ms. Cranky) and then I was off for the wedding. Since I only work weekends that makes for 3 weeks I've been away. It's apparently been an eventful 3 weeks. Ms Cranky and her new roommate, the 23 year-old cigar smoking drama queen, got into a nasty fight that ended with Ms Cranky attempting suicide - twice. It was not a sincere attempt to kill herself but a manipulation technique that she uses on occasion to get what she wants. The only thing she accomplished was to buy herself a few days in the psych unit and to lose all of her "alone time" for a long time to come. That will make our job harder. Strangely enough, all of this is fairly normal for my work. I'm just heading back into it after 3 lovely weeks away.

Yep, we're getting back to normal.

3 comments:

Layla (aka Barbara) said...

I can't imagine what it would be like to adjust to the first child (in my case the only) moving out! This is another one of those life things that we just have to feel, and I am sure it feels really painful at moments.

Amber said...

I've gained a whole new appreciation for what single moms go through when a child leaves home. It's hard enough having 2 sons and a husband. If I only had one child and no husband it would be so much harder.

Brian Buriff said...

Ms Cranky? Teehee.