About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Monday, May 07, 2007

Am I Missing Something Here???

Today I received an email alerting me to the fact that my state Representative voted a particular way on a Hate Crimes Act. Apparently I was supposed to be alarmed and angry that my representative would vote in favor of a hate crimes bill. I wondered what the big deal was and clicked on the link to check it out further. On that web page I came across another alarming notice about the Employment Non-Discrimination Act - again I got the feeling that I was supposed to be against this and was supposed to run right out and contact my state representatives about it. Here is what it said ....

A new bill, the Employment
Non-Discrimination Act
(ENDA), has been introduced in the House of
Representatives by homosexual Congressman Barney Frank. The bill (HR 2015) would
force organizations such as the Boy Scouts, Veterans of Foreign Wars, day care
centers, Christian business owners, adoption agencies, public schools,
municipalities and a host of other businesses and organizations to hire
homosexual applicants.

ENDA would make it illegal to fire, refuse to hire or refuse to promote
an employee based on his or her sexual orientation or "gender identity."
Such acts would be considered crimes subject to severe penalties. For a list of
the co-sponsors of ENDA,

The same day that ENDA was introduced, another bill — commonly called
the Hate Crimes Act
(HR 1592)
— cleared committee for a full vote by the House. The Hate Crimes
Act criminalizes a vast array of state and local acts and threatens religious
leaders with criminal prosecution for their thoughts, beliefs, and statements.



Surely I must be missing something ....

Aren't these good things? Or if not good, are they really harmful?? Do they really threaten my faith? If my faith can be so affected by some bill that is made into law then my faith is in trouble long before the bill was introduced. I especially wondered just how someone could be prosecuted for their thoughts and beliefs??? Can that really happen? I don't think so. Statements maybe, but thoughts??? I always thought thoughts and beliefs were private unless they were made public through by speaking or writing them so I'm a little confused as to how someone can be prosecuted for something like a thought.

And what's so terrible about a Christian organization hiring a gay person? As far as I know churches do not hire teachers - a least the churches I've been in do not. And pastors are usually held up for some sort of vote by some official body somewhere before they are "hired". If that official body wanted their pastor to be homosexual don't they have that right? It may not make it "right" but in this country we do have freedom of religion, don't we?

I can't see how a person being homosexual would damage the message of Christ. HOWEVER, I do see where if they were hired by some Christian organization who followed the message of Christ that they just might encounter a balanced blend of His grace and truth and perhaps their lives might be changed. Isn't that what it's all about anyway?

It kind of bugs me, or it really bugs me that there is this idea out there that we (Christians) are somehow supposed to be separate from the rest of the world. We are good at it too. We have "Christian" TV, "Christian" radio, "Christian" newspapers, "Christian" magazines, and now we even have "Christian" forums like MySpace and "Godtube" as opposed to "Youtube.

Yep, we're good at being separate but I don't think that's a good thing. I always thought we were supposed to be "in" the world, just not "of" it. It seems to me when we remove ourselves from the world we are nothing more than a Christian club - otherwise known as salt that has lost it's flavor.

5 comments:

Jean said...

Is it possible that the "hate crimes bill" would make it so that you stating here that you think homosexuality is a sin would be illegal? Would blogger be forced to erase your post because of "inappropriate content"?

Is it possible that the "non-descrimination act" would make it so that if an ordaining body refuses to ordain someone who is a "practicing homosexual" that they would be breaking the law?

I agree that these people overreact but I am not convinced that there is no cause for concern.

Amber said...

I don't know how far reaching thesee laws would be. I'm not even sure how much they would be enforced if they were enacted. But I'm not convinced that IF churches would lose legal rights and be forced to break the law or meet underground would be a bad thing.

Jean said...

understood

David Cho said...

Great post. And a great point about the church being forced to go underground. Maybe that is what we need to shake up the monumnetal train wreck that is conservative Evangelicalism.

It is so difficult to wade through these emotionally charged bills with moral overtones.

No, I will absolutely not listen to James Dobson's propaganda and his fear mongering. I've tuned them out a long time ago. People with political a agenda lie through the teeth all the time, and their rhetorical bs is so hard to cut through.

One popular notion is that the "hate crimes bill" will throw pastors who speak against homosexuals behind bars.

That is a crock. Hate crimes bills protecting ethnic minorities have been in place for years, but you can say anything about them. Sure, you may lose your job (Imus), but you won't go to jail (Imus, KKK, etc.). Likewise, you can continue to say whatever you want about homosexuals.

The bill simply extends the same protection to homosexuals. I don't like the hate crimes bill itself, but I dislike the stupid rhetoric and paranoia more than the bill itself.

David Cho said...

Amber

But I'm not convinced that IF churches would lose legal rights and be forced to break the law or meet underground would be a bad thing.

Gotta tell you again. You nailed it.