About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Saturday, May 12, 2007

A BEAUTiful Day

Today was a good day.

Work was wild. The 23-year old drama queen decided to cut her hair. No one knew this until she came out of her room carrying a bag full of hair. She cut it good too - about an inch above her ears. Thankfully her mother didn't seem to notice or care when she came to pick her up to spend the day with her for Mother's Day. It's jagged but she's happy with it and I suppose that's all that matters.

After work I went with 3 ladies to the shelter to do haircuts, massages and manicures/pedicures. It was awesome. Those folks ATE IT UP. I mean they LOVED it. The smiles on their faces were priceless. One said, "for a homeless shelter this is as good as the Hilton with free haircuts and massages".

The massage therapist who went with us does an awesome job (I know this from personal experience) and it showed on their faces when they got off the table. Folks with back problems and chronic pain were amazed when they found some relief. One young lady went for the whole ball of wax - a manicure, pedicure, haircut and massage. Her transformation was something to see. When we arrived she was very shy and to herself, almost afraid to ask to be in line. I finally asked her if she wanted a manicure and from then on she was hooked. She went from hanging her head and not looking anyone in the eye to walking proudly with a ear to ear toothless grin. I'm sure she felt pretty for the first time in a while. Others lined up for a haircut when they looked as if they had just had one not long ago. I wonder if they just wanted the human touch and conversation. Whatever they needed they were in hog heaven for a while.

Since I don't do hair, nails or massage, I was just along for the ride and I was thrilled to be. I was tired after working a 15 hour shift but it was SO worth it. Not only did the people at the shelter smile and laugh, but so did the women who went there. I think they really enjoyed it and they want to make a monthly thing of it. Cool.

Brian spent the day at Eagle's Nest with a dozen or so other people from our church. He came home tired and with sore muscles but he looked happy and had funny stories to tell about Mr. Ed. Who knew a day of fence building and manure shoveling could make you feel so good.

It was a good day.

No comments: