About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Our Church is Not Normal

Our church is not normal. Not at all. It's not normal for people to give freely of their time to serve others with no expectation of recognition or reward and yet our folks do that all the time.

Today I am in awe of our folks at Winton Rd First Church of God. It's been a wild week with all the last minute wedding preparations. Cody and Allison are getting married this Saturday at Camp Lebanon Retreat Center. They had rented the place for an outdoor wedding and for the reception in the large dining hall.

Two weeks ago a group of our men were there for a men's day and came home telling us that the Tabernacle was dirty and that much work needed to be done for it to be ready for the wedding. We got on the phone with the caretaker and he promised to get busy with the clean up. The guys from our church decided that they would make a work day out of it and go up to clean the place up and make sure it was done right. Today there are 5-6 men up there cleaning. They are even taking light bulbs out and cleaning them and putting them back in. If I know these guys there will not be a speck of dirt anywhere near the Tabernacle when they are finished.

No one expected them to do this....they just did it because they wanted to make sure it was nice for Cody and Allison. One of the men is even going further out of his way and picking up tables to take up and then bring back after the wedding. Sweeter men cannot be found.

Last night we had a near crisis on our hands and thought we might have to change the location of the wedding. But with a few phone calls there was an army ready to do whatever they needed to do. Today the crisis was averted but there was a church full of folks who were ready and willing to pitch in.

I feel badly that so many of them are going out of their way to help out in such a big way but these folks are just willing to do whatever is needed. That's just the way they are. They are not normal. Not at all. Now how in the world do we begin to thank them enough??

6 comments:

Layla (aka Barbara) said...

I think they did it to thank you.

You guys aren't exactly normal either, ya know? :0

hallga77 said...

I didn't say it but:

For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth.
Deuteronomy 14:1-3

Brian Buriff said...

They never cease to amaze me. My words are far too inadequate to express my gratitude to them. A nod, a smile, a hug, an "I love you". Thank you guys!

Layla (aka Barbara) said...

I'm going to link back to the post you did last month on what the church can learn from AA since it goes with what I am trying feebly to write about.

David Cho said...

Abnormal people - we need more of them.

Gary Means said...

I will echo Barbara's comment. I strongly suspect that this is a small token of gratitude on their part for all your family has given.