About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Sunday, May 06, 2007

Running Hurdles


I feel as if I've been running emotional hurdles lately. First the annoying surgery on my thumb which was no big deal but it sure was/is frustrating to not be able to use my right hand like I normally would.
Then the wedding. It was beautiful, perfect, and a great day, but it was hard and even good things can be stressful. I wasn't sure how I would do. I have had several emotional moments the past few weeks as the wedding grew nearer and I didn't know how I would do when the day arrived.
The hardest part was when Cody left the house for the last time and his moving out was final. Brian and I cried in our coffee for a while. The wedding itself was beautiful. It went perfectly. Cody and Allison are so good together. I told him the morning of the wedding that I liked the girl he picked and I even liked her family. Her parents, brother, sister, and grandparents are great people and my only regret is that they live so far away.
Tomorrow is yet another hurdle. My dad goes in for a angiogram. A couple of weeks ago he found out that he has a narrowing of the aorta and that a valve in his heart may need to be replaced. We are unsure yet whether he will have just an angiogram, or a stent or have the whole thing along with the heart valve replacement tomorrow. We may have a very long and stressful day ahead of us. It is good to know that his doctor is one of the best, if not the best in the country. I'm well aware that angiograms are common. Brian sits in on them all the time and is very familiar with the proceedure as well as the docs who do them. Valve replacements are fairly common too but it is still stressful when it happens to you.
I'm exhausted - both physically and emotionally so I'm heading off for a few moments to myself and then hopefully to get a good night's sleep.
Update* My dad only had an angiogram today - no stent . Neither does he need to have a valve replaced, at least not yet - maybe in 5-10 years. He does seem to have a thickening of the heart wall or muscle which may or may not be causing his symptoms but that can be treated with a beta blocker which he started today. He goes back for another echo cardiogram to see for certain what may be causing his symptoms. Hopefully the meds will take care of the extreme exhaustion and burning in his throat. His exhaustion is not just due to his getting older - it is something more profound than that and had a much quicker onset and is accompanied by lightheadedness. Hopefully they will find the cause and be able to fix it.

3 comments:

Gary Means said...

Dear Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, please hold my friend Amber close. Please give her rest for her whole being. Thank You so much for her and the way You have worked in and through her over the years.

Please guide doctors as they seek diagnose her dad's condition. Please help their family as they deal with the added stress of these latest developments.

Also please bless Cody and Allison in their new life together. Please teach each of them what it truly means to love one another with the sun goes behind the clouds, so to speak. But let them cherish one another now, and delight in their love. AMEN.

Amber said...

Thanks so much Gary. Your prayer was beautiful and meant a lot.

Brian Buriff said...

Hopefully with the wedding now behind us and with the GREAT news about your father today, we can all get a little emotional / mental rest. Thank God for calm seas again.