About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Friday, May 25, 2007

Work Woes and Grace

I'm probably going to be in trouble at work. I expect to be written up for it, but I don't care a whole lot. I am just home from working 3rd shift and am supposed to be at a staff meeting today from 12:30 - 3:30.

I'm not going to go.

I am scheduled to go back in to work tonight and work an 18 hour shift so if I don't get sleep today, I will be going in to work tonight not having slept since Wednesday night. I just don't think that's a safe or sane situation when I am responsible for the well-being of two developmentally disabled people.

If I'm going to care for them without making errors that may result in their harm, I have to have rest. Missing the meeting means my attendance will be past the acceptable mark and "corrective action" will be taken. The reason that it will be past the acceptable mark is because I recently missed 4 shifts in 3 days due to having surgery on my hand. I had a doctor's note saying that I was not to work but last Friday I was told that even with a doctor's note it counted against my attendance. I told them that was a "stupid" policy but it is their policy nonetheless.

So I expect I'll be sent a form for me to sign stating that my attendance is poor. I'm not going to sign it. I think it's ridiculous that I would be written up for missing work because I had surgery and had a doctor's note. I'm not sure what will happen if I don't sign it. I guess I'll find out.

The thing that's such a challenge for me is dealing with this company with grace. I'm really trying to learn to respond with grace but it's hard. I've always been the kind of person who was very submissive. I was raised to believe that my boss is the boss and I should do what they say. I've done that at every other job I've ever had. But then, I've never had a reason not to. I've always had good bosses - except for one who was a jerk but he happened to like me because I was a good worker. Now I find myself in this company where I am constantly being screwed over and it makes me angry. Last week I had decided that the day I quit I will not give a notice - I'll just call them and tell them I will not be back. I thought I would tell them why - that they have never shown their employees any courtesy or respect and so I wasn't inclined to give them any in return.

But then, that's not really the way grace works is it. Darn.

Finding that line between standing up for myself and, in the case of today, acting in the best interest of our clients, and doing so with grace is no easy challenge.

I guess I'll see how it plays out. For now, I'm going to bed.

2 comments:

Layla (aka Barbara) said...

I think you are doing the right thing, I really do. You work so hard for those people and if they don't appreciate you I think they will need to see how hard it is to find a valuable person such as you.

You deserve to be treated better.

I wish there was a different job for you (and me).

Gary Means said...

I agree with Barbara. And both of you deserve better jobs.