About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Monday, June 04, 2007

Emerging ...

I feel like I'm emerging from a whirlwind of chaos. Last week, and particularly yesterday was busy, mostly with Pine Ridge stuff. Here is the way my day went yesterday...

  • 8 AM - Leave for church in hopes of stopping by the drugstore to get my mother a birthday card.
  • The store was closed so it was on to church for coffee and to meet up with my class and my family to go on a field trip to visit my son and daughter-in-law's church in Cincy.
  • 9:45 AM - Leave the parking lot with the group and head to Cincy.
  • 10:30 - Arrive at River of Life and enjoy an awesome service. The preaching was great but I felt bad for the pastor. He seems to have a real heart for outreach in the inner-city and it is difficult to get people to "do" things. Older people are often unable and younger people are busy. Who will feed the hungry and do the work of the church? I felt his burden and I felt bad for him.
  • 12 Noon - arrive back at Winton Rd to meet up with families and head home.
  • 12: 30 - Arrive home, change clothes, swallow a sandwich and then head to Target to get a gift of appreciation for the guest speaker at our PR meeting.
  • 1:30 - Get back home, get the gift ready, gather up all of the materials I will need for the meeting (map, presentation board, boxes for water bottles, notes, etc.) and load up my Jeep.
  • 2:00 PM - Sit down to look over my notes and get my head together for the meeting.
  • 2:00 PM - Start getting calls from team members who are unable to be at the meeting.
  • 2:30 PM - Have a cup of coffee with Brain - or try to - still getting phone calls.
  • 2:30 - 3:00 PM - Get a call from Allison wanting to go over the interview questions for our guest speaker. Share my growing frustration with team member's not attending meetings.
  • 3:15 PM - Get one more phone call from another team member as I'm walking out the door to head to the meeting. I need to be there early to set up and TRY to focus on what I need to present to the team.
  • On the way to church I pass the drugstore and realize that I've left my mother's birthday card at home. I call Brian and ask if he can bring it. I also scold myself for forgetting to get a card for the team to sign for a man who has given a HUGE donation to our trip and is in the hospital.
  • On the way to church I also get another call, from Cody. He lets me know that he has two problems - our guest speaker is going to be late and he cannot get his key to turn in the ignition of his car and needs a ride to the meeting. I tell him I'll pick him up. Then I see that it is now 3:45 and I still need to set up for the meeting that is supposed to start at 4:00. I call another team member who lives near Cody and ask them to pick him up - they will. (Thank you)
  • 3:45 PM - I pull into the church while calling Cody back to tell him the Jackson's are picking him up.
  • 3:45 PM - I unload the Jeep by the front door and then park.
  • 3:50 PM - I attempt greet a number of team members and family who are all asking me questions and trying to help. I am easily distracted by so many people needing my attention - especially when I really need to focus on what I'm going to be presenting.
  • I track down an easel, set up the map, get my notes organized, all while being pulled in different directions by well-meaning people. I think it will be a miracle if I even know what I'm supposed to present. I really like/need time to THINK about it just before a meeting but that never happens. OH well.
  • My dad wants to help box up the water bottles. He and my mom ask numerous questions about them. I tell them repeatedly that they can wait until after the meeting - that I'll deal with them later - that I have to think about the meeting right now.
  • 4 PM - I head into the narthex and crap my whip to get the team into the meeting room.
  • Cody tells me that our speaker is going to be at least another 20 min.
  • I look over my notes to see how I can re0arrange the meeting so we don't waste time. All the while I am irritated because so few team members are there and I wonder how I'm supposed to prepare a team to accomplish something if they don't come to the meetings for info.
  • 4:00 - 5:45 PM - We have our meeting. The speaker shows up and shares an amazing story. Somehow it all falls together. It's OK. I share my disappointment regarding meeting attendance and figure out a way to reward those who do come to every meeting. They like not having bathroom duty!
  • 5:45 - 5:50 PM - I break down the meeting stuff and carry it back to the Jeep with the help of Logan (thanks)
  • 5:50 PM - I see that the water bottles have been boxed up. I ask my dad if he counted them. He did not. I unpack them and begin counting and re-packing them. Lots of people are talking to me, one little girl decides to call out numbers. I'm in no mood for it. I ask her to PLEASE not do that. She stops thankfully.
  • 6:00 PM - I finish the water bottles and head into church. I have a headache and am exhausted in every way imaginable.

Today I am reminded of the words of one of our team during a particularly exhausting day on the rez last summer. "I don't' want to be a missionary any more". Of course I don't mean that. I love it too much to consider NOT doing it. But there are challenges and 99% of the work is so not what people think of when they think of outreach, ministry, missions.

BTW, there are some new pics up on the Pine Ridge site if you're intersted. The moments captured in those pics make it worth all the chaos and hard work and frustration.

No comments: