About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Sunday, July 22, 2007

A Holy Moment

There's something awesome happening at church. A while back a young lady began attending. She admittedly had struggled with substance abuse and was really trying to find her way. She is now bringing a bunch of other young folks with similar issues with her. I'm not sure how many of them there are but a bunch. They are from various ethnic backgrounds, various home backgrounds, they have various issues and various hairstyles. One has a sweet looking Mohawk. They obviously stand out in our church of very average people. I love it. I get a kick out of seeing men with comb-overs staring at a guy with a Mohawk. I wonder what each of them are thinking. I'm betting they have similar thought about each other's style.

Tonight one of the young men stood up in the middle of the service and said he had a song and wanted to sing it. Thankfully those in charge of the service allowed him to come forward and share his song. You could almost feel the anticipation in the congregation. What was this guy going to do? Would he rap? Would he perhaps sing a song with profanity in it? Would anyone be able to accompany him on piano or guitar? How would we handle it if it were inappropriate? Who would handle it?

The young man rose, walked to the platform, stood behind the pulpit and explained that he was going through a tough time and that the song he wanted to sing was one his mother used to sing to him and singing it made him feel better. He took a deep breath and belted out a stirring rendition of "His Eye is on the Sparrow and I Know He Watches Me". He sang acapella. He sang from the heart. It was truly one of the most beautiful sounds I've heard in a long time. People rose to their feet and applauded - not just because it was good, not just because this young man was brave enough to take a risk like that , but because Jesus was in the house and it was a Holy moment.

3 comments:

annie said...

I often tried to imagine how my son with his own substance abuse problems would have fit into the programs of the church we were visiting had he decided to come to church. So I'm glad to hear your church is handling the "different ones" so well. What a blessing it must have been to hear that young man sing.

David Cho said...

Wow, is it taped? Will your youtube account have the clip?

Those unscripted moments are the best.

Robert said...

I hope moments like this happen more and more in churches amber reading stories like this will hopefully inspire moere magical moments where freedom to express is taken and the Spirit is given the ability to lead