About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Too Pooped To Party

I am really exhausted. I was just telling a friend tonight that I don't remember ever being this tired before a trip. But it's a bigger trip this year and we're doing a lot more and the more you do the more problems you can have. We load the trucks Friday night and then leave out early Saturday morning and until tonight, two of the five vehicles we're taking needed work done on them. The past two nights people have been here at my house until 9:00 or 10:00 trying to get the wiring from the trailer to the truck hooked up so the lights would work. Tonight they are working!

It's a lot of work but SO worth it.


Yesterday I got a letter from Bree's mom. Bree is a 5 year old Lakota girl who has latched on to me and claims me as her own. That's fine with me - she's my baby girl and I claim her for my own too. Bree's mom is a wonderful lady and is so appreciative of what we do and grateful that someone takes an interest in her children. The back of the card had Bree's hand print and she had written my name above it. So cute! I'm told my several people that Bree cries for me throughout the year. I mean, how could I not do these trips with that kind of thing going on? It's been a blessing to watch her grow up. I'm glad we emphasize building relationships. I really believe that's what it's all about.



2004

2005 - Bree wearing my hat

2006

Her Grandma, Me, and Bree




3 comments:

Barbara (aka Layla) said...

I can't believe its almost here! I remember Bree from last year. She must be SO excited to see you soon. I get tired just reading about all you do to prepare for this trip and all the emotional and physical energy you put in when you are there. It is so worth it (easy for me to say). I'll be praying "extra" these next fews days, it seems that before a trip like this is usually the most stressful part. Say hi to Brian for me, I miss that dude!

Gary Means said...

A prayer for you and the trip:

Dear Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,
I ask that You would use these people in special and amazing ways to show the Lakota people how much you love them. Please strengthen existing relationships and build new ones. Thank You so much for the consistent commitment of Amber and others in this difficult adventure. I ask a special blessing for Bree. May she grow to be a healthy woman who has a grateful understanding of Who You are and how much You love her. Thank You for loving the people of Pine Ridge through Amber and her friends. AMEN

Amber said...

Barbara & Gary - thanks for the prayers! It is SO good to know people at home are praying for us. I really believe the most important people involved in any "mission" are the folks who pray.

Brian does need to get back to blogging. I'm going to have to resort to doing Taser pics if he doesn't.