About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Rambling

I'm homesick tonight. I miss South Dakota, specifically Pine Ridge Reservation and even more specifically the village of Allen. I really feel that it is my home away from home. I always look forward to my first drive through the village each year. It's when I get to see old friends. It's a good feeling to know these people, to know where they live and to know their names and to know that they also know me. I miss almost everything about it.
I miss the sky. The sky there is just amazing. It goes on and on and at night there are more stars visible than you can imagine. I miss the people. I miss the missionaries who are now our friends. I miss the way of life there. Things just go at a slower pace there. There is no traffic, no congestion, people there are not rude to you because they have to live with you. Out there you can go to a grocery store and the people there know you by name and they carry your groceries to your car for you. I miss seeing horses run wild. I miss the "rez dogs". I miss the Lakota way of life that put so much emphasis on respect of self and others. A year just seems too long to wait.

1 comment:

Gary Means said...

Amber,
In the seven or eight years that I have known you, I have admired your heart. I thank God for the way He has shaped you into a person who hears Him, and whom He has used in so many ways because you care.

I know from my very limited experience with members of the Skokomish and Nisqually Nations here in my area, that native peoples are suspicious of white people because so many come seeking a one-time experience. They come seeking to "give", but truly they are seeking to take. So often whites come hoping to "help" with the expectation that they will be met with gratitude. There is an underlying demand that they be appreciated for "giving". Those expectations often demonstrate a bit of racism and condescension. Some whites come with a romanticized view of native peoples. Some come seeking cool stories of their "mission trip".

To my shame, I have been this kind of person. I look back on my interaction with native peoples and I cringe.

But some whites come with an open heart, with humility, with honesty, and with a willingness to set aside their expectations when reality fails to meet that vision.

I thank God that you are that second kind of person and that the Lakota people have a friend who simply and honestly loves them.