About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Electricity

I got word today that the electric company has cut off electricity to many of the homes on the Reservation. Apparently they are tired of people not paying their bills and want to send a message. This in a place that endures an 85% unemployment rate. I'm not exactly sure how they are supposed to pay or with what. The missionary there says she is sure it will be back on before cold weather hits. Still, this could go on for weeks. There is no refrigeration to keep food cold, no electric stoves to cook on, no lights, no hot water (assuming they even have water in their home - many do not), and no TV.

This is the kind of thing that creates a great deal of frustration on the Rez. I imagine they feel as if they've been forced into this situation by the government and now are being punished for it. They could be right. Along with the frustration, there is boredom because there is no TV. Boredom and frustration are not a good mix anywhere, least of all among people who have a history of being treated badly (to say the least). It is in times like these that drinking and gang violence increases. With it all kinds of other violence. It's understandable but it's still bad news. I feel bad for these people, many of whom are my friends. Poverty sucks. It just does. And there seems no way out of it and no hope for change.

No comments: