About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Friday, September 07, 2007

Endings

Today was my last day at work! I am relieved beyond measure. It will be SO nice to have my life back and to be able to participate in normal activities that I've been unable to be a part of because of a crazy work schedule.

But it was a little sad saying goodbye to the ladies. Ms. Cranky took it well. Her main concern was who would be there to take care of her now. Someone will, she need not worry about that.

My 20 year-old cigar smoking drama queen was a bit more sad at my leaving. As she was getting on the bus this morning she started to say "see ya later" when she suddenly realized that I would not be back. She ran back with a sad look and gave me a hug and asked me to call or come visit sometime.

The amazing thing to me about all this is that she is the most soft-hearted one of the two I've cared for and yet she has plenty of reason to not want to get attached to people. Since she was a small child she has been shuffled from foster home to foster home and was badly abused in many of them. As a young adult she is not in the care of our company where she has a constantly changing staff. Over the years she has had no one that was there for her over any length of time. She has known cruelty from people and not a lot of care. It would be quite understandable if she shut people out and protected herself from further pain but she has not. She is very compassionate. She does have anger issues (who wouldn't) and she does get quite irate when she hears a news report of a child being abused. Just this morning the news was reporting on a mother who left her 2 year old in a car in 90+ degree weather, killing the child. The drama queen was upset that no charges were going to be filed against the mother in this case.

In the months that the drama queen has been in my care she has been a source of inspiration to me. She has her faults. She has an overactive sex drive. She uses language that would make a sailor blush. She can party with the best of them. But she also is a sweetheart who cares deeply for other people and will stand up for anyone being taken advantage of. She does beautiful sign language and dance to some of the contemporary praise music. For the things she has been dealt in life, she's not done too badly. I will miss her.

1 comment:

Barbara (aka Layla) said...

Congrats on a new Beginning! It sounds as if Drama Queen is a special girl. I am sure you've been an inspiration to her just like she's been to you. I hope she continues to do as well as she's doing.