About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

I'm In Over My Head

And I suppose that's a good place to be. I like feeling out of control because it forces me to depend on God. I've always been a sort of thrill-seeker and this, my friends, is something that will keep me on the edge of my seat for a long time to come.

I'm working on some ideas for Backpacks for Pine Ridge. I'm not even sure how this started but I'm pretty sure if I had known when I began this where it might lead that I wouldn't have done it. It still feels really overwhelming and frankly, I'm scared spitless.

My goal is to provide as many backpacks filled with school supplies to the children on the Pine Ridge Reservation as possible. My dream is to provide every child on the Pine Ridge Reservation with a backpack and school supplies. And foolishly, I would like to do this each year. Crazy huh? You bet.

I didn't know how crazy until this morning.

Since things seem to be doing well this year (we have enough for 3 villages and it's only Sept.) I thought maybe it might be a good idea to sit down and let that dream soar and just see what it would take to make it happen.

I was shocked.

And stunned.

Based on City-Data.org's information about how many children on the Reservation are enrolled in school, and based on the general assumption that $15.00 will buy one backpack and fill it with supplies (sometimes it's less, sometimes more), it would take .... are you ready for this??

$60,000.00

I counted the number of zeros twice just to make sure.

That does not even take into consideration the cost of renting a truck and paying for fuel to get them there.

And we need that ... every year.

Now I'm sitting here asking myself "why in the world would I ever want to have a dream like this??? What was I thinking???"

But I'm also reminded that God is not short on cash. So I suppose we'll just go for it and if we fail it won't be for lack of trying.

There's also good news that comes on a regular basis. A friend on our MySpace page is a musician who is willing to donate a portion of her CD sales to this project. She is also wanting to present it to her church to see if they will join with us in this goal. Cool.

We've also had some very generous donations - two different donations of $1000.00 and many many other smaller ones.

And there's an event to raise awareness and money I'm working on... sort of working on. It's a big thing and it scares me to think of what it will take to pull it off, but what else is new. I didn't get into this without a lot of fear and trembling so that's just par for the course.

OK, well I'd better take a deep breath and get busy.

1 comment:

Gary Means said...

Dream on! This is awesome to watch. If I can help with ANY of my abilities as a graphic designer, just ask. Do not even begin to think that you might be imposing. I know that you son is talented in this area as well. You may already have this covered, but just in case . . .

I would just need a little lead time, but thanks to technology, long-distance is not an issue.

If you need promo art, logo, fliers, posters, handouts, whatever, for your concert, just let me know.

Or, if you need an informational brochure designed for this overall project, just ask. I can also write, edit, etc if need be, but if I remember correctly, you're in love with a published author.

I could even try to set something up as sort of a template so that someone on your end could make changes at the last minute if need be.

Whatever works. And if not, that's cool too. Feel free to email me.

Gary