About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

What's Up With This?

Doing good and being good has become sexy. We will be having a dicussion on it this week in The Micah 6:8 Group. But I'd like to hear other's thougths on it too.

2 comments:

Barbara (aka Layla) said...

Sounds like its going to be a great discussion, wish I went to your church.

Here is my cynical answer, its the first thing that popped in my mind.

I think God wants us to WANT to be good and to give but he certainly doesn't require it.

Sometimes when we give or do something "good"(even if we don't really want to at first but do it for some other reason) we are usually blessed by it and then we are compelled to give again...that's typical of human nature.

BUT what matters is out true MOTIVE. Why is a person giving of their time, talent or money? Is it to look good in the eyes of others? In response to pressure? Because it's a trend (that's what is seems like in Hollywood right now...people do what's "in" and sometimes I wonder if that's why certain people jump on the bandwagon).

I know somewhere in the Word it says don't let the right hand know what the left is doing. I think the kind of giving that blesses us the most is the kind we do without telling anyone. I know if I give anonymously I am sometimes tempted to say "hey check me out, I am sooooooo generous and kind....) but if I fight the temptation to say that, I feel good, like I've pleased God not because I GAVE but because I did it the way He prefers, humbly.

So....is giving and doing good sexy? I think its a huge trend today and the good news about that is - money is going to good causes. If celebrities think it makes them more appealing, fine whatever, to some people it probably does. But like I said I am a cynic about that sort of thing.

Of course there is an exception to every rule and you know who the exception is...his real Paul Hewson :)

Amber said...

Hey Barbara,

Good thoughts. Thanks! I agree with everything you said. As far as Bono goes, the guy has to be driven by something more than wanting to look good. He spends a LOT of time, energy and $ that he doesn't have to in trying to help the world's poorest. It just seems like he goes above and beyond what someone would do if they wanted to lend their name to a cause. Knowing a bit of his story, I think I have an idea what motivates him. ;)

I'll share some of my thoughts about the "what's the motive" question a bit later. I want to see what others have to say first.