About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Saturday, October 20, 2007

Kids These Days

I must be getting old. I swore it would never happen, but I'm seeing the signs. I've been listening to a lot of bands lately and it is amazing to me that I can hear my mother's voice running through my head "You call that music?"

Now, I can rock and roll any day of the week and I like it loud (actually the loud is necessary these days due to too many loud nights in my past) but I have my limits. I have no doubt these bands are "good" and they obviously have a following and many of them have even played at The Underground, which is saying something, but seriously, do they really think that's music? I load up their web page and immediately look for the "off" button for whatever is playing. It sounds like noise to me. Loud noise. I feel assaulted.

And my knee is killing me. In fact, I'm supposed to be at Cody's working today but I'm here because pain kept me awake most of the night.

Yeah, I'm officially old.

But only when it comes to that stuff. I think more like a 20-30 something than a 40 something and I generally feel very much at home with people far younger than me. I often feel that I fit in better with younger people than I do with people my own age.

Recently I spoke with an older man that I respect and admire. Somehow the subject drifted to inner-city ministry. I was shocked to hear him say, "Those people just don't want to change and you can't help them if they don't want to change". I think my mouth may have dropped open and I silently prayed, "God don't ever let me get old." This is a good man. A sweet man. One of the best. But he has apparently allowed life to sour his attitudes toward certain groups of people. Brian reminded me later that day that Jonah said the same words about Nineveh.

Let's hope that I don't ever grow old in my thinking - at least not when it comes to trying new ideas and believing great things can happen. I may just have to get used to this "music" too. I may be working with these bands in the future.

1 comment:

Barbara (aka Layla) said...

I'll make you a deal, if you notice me getting that kind of "old" you can tell me, and I'll do the same for you.

I'm not too worried about it though :)

Your so much younger than most alot of people I know that are younger than you.